1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musical Fidelity 308cr

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nic Rhodes, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    As part of the endless a saga of looking for a ‘very able’ amp for the main 2 channels, I had an interesting day yesterday. My Tag 100x5r will now drive the rear channels (and possibly the centre as well), it is good for 150w but the KEF ref 4 need a bit of umpff in a 30 foot room.

RS suggested replacing my Tag with a £100 receiver  Mind you I also heard them describe PS to some one, boy did that make me angry, cost them a DVD player sale.

Another dealer suggested a Rotel 5 channel 120w bi amping the L and R, interesting concept but a rather retrograde step. They had never heard either.

Sevenoaks suggested the Musical Fidelity stuff. The AV 250W mono block was a decent enough amp but I listened to the 250w (8 ohm) CR 308 CR (choke regulated).

Well this baby rocks, and rocks BIG time. Effortless power but with some real class and I mean REAL CLASS. It can also take dual inputs which is VERY important to me. This is a GREAT power amp and one of the best I have ever heard. At it’s price it seems a bargain but we never talk about it here? Why not?

It has a stunning spec, as good as any power amp I have seen, and this seems VERY conservative in ratings and it has vanishingly low distortion. It was just total effortless control. Has anyone else heard it? It was up there or better than the Brystons / Tags and competing with the best of the best.

2. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    There is one on ebay at the moment with (I think) I buy it now for £1500. Normally 2400 so good saving.

Not mine BTW!

Cheers
    Rob

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I have spouted my affections/admiration of most things Musical Fidelity (to include the mighty 308 and lesser 3.2 power-amps) for a while now, now 2 308's - one a side would be something, the 308 is perhaps one of my favourite "borrowers" from my local.
    Good on you Nic, how about a second? they can be sought out with reasonable discounts from time to time.

Regards

Steven.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Very nice amp indeed...smooth,detailed and plenty of grunt.

Recent review of the rather expensive and rather limited edition KW amps was very complimentary also....from what I remember it was rated alongside the FPB700 Krell....quite a performance.

5. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regards to power, I bi-amped a pair of Monitor Audio Studio 50's with a 308 int. and a 308 power and... it mastered those babies. These are BIG speakers that eat power amps up but the MF stuff really handled them well. Shame I'm not a big fan of the MF sound.

6. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

I currently have 308CD/Pre/Power having recently upgraded from the 3.2 series.

I was really happy with the 3.2 stuff but the 308 blows away anything around the price I have heard. MF definately has a house sound which some cannot get on with, but I just love it. Real drive, image, bass and depth of soundstage. The biggest difference on first listening versus the 3.2 is the amount of extra bass information, just awesome.

The ability to integrate an av and hifi system simply by pressing a switch at the front is a real bonus, surprised more manufacturers don't include this feature.

Interesting comment on the monoblocks, was looking at these to beef up the AV once I decide on a processor, maybe I will add a couple of 308's instead.

Gus

7. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,

Just want to add another vote for the 308 series from Musical Fidelity. I have both the CD player and integrated amp, and for £4K for the pair they deliver astonishing sound quality.

Their ability to render a lifelike 3D soundstage across the front of the room is on par with some of the finest equipment I've heard, the level of control and power in the bass is truly outstanding. I don't know if you've looked inside any of the 308 components, but they really are built to an oustanding standard. I've even used the receiver to drive some truly hideous loads (Martin Logans, the SL-3, Aerius i and the new Clarity) and the amp has never once run hot, turned grainy, gone harsh or in any way misbehaved. At around £2K a component there is precious little else in the marketplace I'd rather buy, though in the area of a pure power amp the only serious competitors I've so far had experience with are the Bryston 3B-SST & 4B-SST, which at £1,750 & £2,350 delivers astonishing sound for the money whilst being able to drive practically any speaker I've been able to connect to them.

What hasn't been mentioned here is the 308 pre amplifier, another incredible sounding design which has excellent functionality, is built like a tank and sings like an angel.

Best wishes,

Dave

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    one is coming to stay to see if we like each other :)

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Have to agree with Beekeeper's original comment that we don't find MF mentioned much....pity,considering the high praise virtually every product gets.....hope you get on well with your new guest,Beekeeper!
    Also a little more wife-friendly than my power amps!

10. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Whilst I'm a big fan of MF (and an ex "Synthesis" and "A1" owner) I was kind of put off them for HC by this scathing review of the HT600 multi channel power amp:

http://www.smr-group.co.uk/reviews/musical_fidelity_03.html

However, it's great to see that they are still producing knock out products.

It makes you wonder what other great less popular amps are out there. For example, I have heard fantastic things about the Belcanto EVO6 digital six channel amp - and each pair of channels can be bridged so you could start with the centre bridged and then un-bridge it if you moved to a 6.1 set up - very flexible:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/belcantodesign_evo6.htm

Have you ever encountered the Belcanto, Beekeeper? It's on my Xmas list that's for sure.

Matt.

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Very interesting review,Matt....I saw the "quality" of the soldered connections there also!.....it's a pity as it undoes some of the good reputation elsewhere.
    However,I think their best market is still in the Hi-Fi arena.

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Haven't seen the BelCanto

I was also luke warm to the MF AV stuff and they now say it was a mistake in their latest catalogue but an amp is an amp and this is what MF are best at so why not use their great stereo amps for AV?