• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Musical budget AV Amp

raven219

Need to replace the Arcam kit before it has jammy toast shoved in it from the little one!

Going to put a budget setup in which will predominately be used for music. Was thinhing of the Denon 1507 probably paired with the Denon 1730 DVD player.

Any comments on this amp used for stereo?

Cheers

A

alphabet

Seeing that you are used to the Arcam's stereo ability, I think the Denon would be quite a letdown. It is good in HT mode, but lacks stereo ability(in my humble opinion:) )

The Cambridge 540R will be closer in stereo performance to your Arcam, but if you can listen to these before you lay out the cash.

sk8

CA 540R is well regards for its musicallity

A

alphabet

Also the Yamaha DSP-AX759se can now be picked up for 250 quid which is a bargain from richer sounds!!!!

Won't really classify the Yammy as a musical AV amp, good in HT yes, but like the Denon not all that good in stereo:)

bu5ter

Won't really classify the Yammy as a musical AV amp, good in HT yes, but like the Denon not all that good in stereo:)

I would tend to disagree Its the best natural sounding home cinema amp ive heard in stereo mode and with pure direct its sounds superb!!!

A

alphabet

I would tend to disagree Its the best natural sounding home cinema amp ive heard in stereo mode and with pure direct its sounds superb!!!

It sounds like you are quoting from the Yamaha brochure:D

I understand that you feel the Yammy sounds good as we all use different frames of reference, however if you do a direct comparison of AV Receivers in stereo mode(Pure Direct or not) to dedicated stereo amplifiers, it becomes glaringly obvious how badly the additional electronics affects stereo performance in a number of popular AV Receivers.

BUT, then again that is only my opinion:hiya: The best is still to listen to propective acquisitions before you spend the money:)

Dean

Bi-amping the fronts will improve stereo performance somewhat... my Pioneer VSX-1015 sounds pretty good now and I've had a fair few decent dedicated stereo amps in the past. Still wouldn't expect it to better dedicated stereo amps but it has closed the gap a lot IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom