1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music vs. Theatre speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by braidkid, Mar 15, 2005.

1. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please explain why a good music speaker does not make a good home theatre speaker and vice versa. It seems to me a good music speaker would be perfectly suitable for movies. What's the difference between the two?
    Thanks...

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    A good speak is a good speaker it is everything else which is variable

3. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's not that much difference between front speakers and "music" speakers as far as I'm aware.

Centres and Rears have a slightly different job as they're primarily for dialogue and effects respectively but there's no reason "music" speakers shouldn't be used as long as they're shielded.

Most AV packages contain speakers that are sold a standalone stereo pairs also.

Someone's going to step in a correct me hideously here, I can feel it!

Are you planning a purchase? Plenty of advice available here!

4. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've read that theatre speakers dont make good music speakers particularly in the area of mid ranges. I'm looking at M&K 750THX or 150THX and have read they are excellent for movies but lacking for music. My thinking would be an excellent sounding music speaker would be perfect for movies but have read to the contrary.

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    I have KEF THX home theatre speakers (TDM23F). They are the most musical speakers I've ever had, and I've owned about 20 pairs!

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    M&K speakers are very neutral and transparent but some may find them too analytical for music listening, especially music that is recorded too brightly. Their strengths lie in the mid band where the all important dialogue is reproduced and they also have superb dynamic range and transient response which is why they are amongst the best for snappy sounds like gunfire whereas more traditional hifi speakers are more relaxed and laid back and may make music less fatiguing to listen to but at the expense of the dynamics of the monitor.

Don't worry about what you read and what others tell you but have a good long listen to them (especially the 150's) and make your own mind up and you may find that in common with many others here that you love the M&K sound.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,522
    braidkid

The 'generalisation' about some loudspeakers being for Movie's and not Music is most applicable to the Sub/Sat systems you can purchase for sub 1K.

If you switch your entry level AV Receiver to 'Stereo' and try and listen to music via just a pair of Satellites its not always that enjoyable :)

The Studio monitor type speakers you've listed from M&K do have quite a different 'sound' to traditional vented or sealed cabinets from HiFi loudspeaker manufacturers - keep in mind a lot of these units are designed as near field monitors with back to the wall positioning and close listener proximity in mind.

HiFi loudspeaker designers and AV loudspeaker designers will, I'm sure, start off with very different design briefs - look at the THX specification for example; http://www.thx.com/mod/products/homeTheatre.html (no mention of good Stereo playback).

As Mango Bob says the front Left and Right pair from a Movie ensemble will be the closest in design to a HiFi speaker - though the designer of the Movie system may have decided on a narrow dispersion pattern for HF and Mid; a rolled off bass to keep things 'tight' as he/she knows they have a sub elsewhere in the Movie system they don't have to try for 'full range' from a single cabinet etc lots of 'designed in' features in Movie speakers are not the same 'designed in' features in a HiFi speaker.

You also have to factor in what amplification and processing your planning on using - most AV Receivers do not make beautiful music!

Happy listening.

Joe

PS And keep in mind no one's yet designed the perfect HiFi speaker!

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi As joe said most duel systems are a compromise of some sort.My m&k 850s are stunning with movies but less so with music.I think most people would be happy though with the music playback that iam getting at the moment.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

9. JohnnyScot

JohnnyScot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You will see my set up below - one word, awesome. M&K S-150s, oh just get them bought.

Music? That's what the car is for... :)

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Agreed. Rather than one being outright better than the other it should be more of a case of finding speakers that suit what you want from the sound. These characteristics can be different between music and movies but that certainly isn't necessarily the case.

You just have to think about how much music there can be in movies and the whole distinction between the 2 becomes very blurred and irrelevant indeed. :)