music streamer advice please

Tim_UK

Standard Member
Reaction score
looking to add a music streamer to my set-up.

I've got lots of music on a server, too many songs maybe 100,000 tracks. Used to have an audiotron (?) and then a roku music streamer for playing these back in the day but now looking for something newer with app control.

Would also like bluetooth and air play for flexibility.

Looking at a couple of yamaha options - Yamaha NPS 303 - full width hifi unit, or the Yamaha WXC-50. Any users of either of these or other suggestions to look at please ?

Will be connected to an ageing but still good Denon AV unit.

I can't really help, but a hifi shop I went to recently said they used a Yamaha WXC-50 for all but the most expensive of demo's of amps and speakers, so I'd take that as a fair vote of its quality..!

I would say open source Squeezebox (just because I think it's still the best home music library service around) but there's no Bluetooth endpoints in the squeezebox ecosystem. You can use a Bluetooth amp or basic Bluetooth receiver instead of course.

I'd certainly back @drdocmatt and also ask whether Bluetooth support has to be provided by the same box as the streamer.

If not and you're ok with a bit of very minor DIY, you can easily build your own very decent network audio file player based on a cheap, reliable, tiny, very low powered single board computer, such as the Raspberry Pi, for less than £100. It would certainly produce a sound just as good as, if not better than those Yamaha streamers.

Free software, such as the open source Squeezebox type mentioned by @drdocmatt or one of the many industry standard UPnP/DLNA with AirPlay supporting network audio player dedicated Linux distros (eg Moode Audio) can easily be installed. Both streamer types require you to run a media server software to provide the audio file library over the network. Assuming that 'server' of yours that has your music is a Windows, Mac or Linux computer, then you should be able to install on that machine either the Logitech Media Server (LMS) for the Squeezebox type streamer or any UPnP/DLNA media server application (I'd recommend the audio dedicated MinimServer) for the UPnP/DLNA streamer.

Last edited:
How about upgrading your Denon? Most current AV receivers have Bluetooth as well as facilities for streamign services and network streaming, and it may not necessarily cost you much more than going for a stand alone option. This route could upgrade your movie viewing as well (depending on which Denon you have).

thanks for the suggestions.

my current amp is the Denon AVR3805 - its ageing now - no hdmi for instance - but was almost top of the range when bought and I can't afford a similar replacement, and has some odd features use a lot - eg the external mains output so loads of things in the lounge are switched on and off with the amp.

on reading about the yamaha more I'm really concerned there doesn't seem to be a search function for the music within the app - this is making me wonder about the sonos connect - looks overpriced for what it does but the app looks the best of the bunch.

re the raspberry pi idea - I am always making things - in the past built on power amps, even one of the first "surround sound units" which simply took the difference between L and R and delayed that output a fraction !! However with a little two year old taking up most of my spare time now thought I would treat myself to something ready made and new !

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom