1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Storage / server

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by supo, Aug 17, 2005.

1. supo

supo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am after a stand-alone product to store music I need
    1. Ability to choose the quality I want and file format
    2. Ability to get cd info off the internet preferably wirelessly
    3. Ability to arrange music files into genrees etc

An ipod currently will do most of this, but is there any alternative? Please don't suggest creative Zen etc as I want more than that. I know Cambridge Audio 640H(yet to be released ) will do this, anything else?
    Thanks. supee

2. norderney

norderney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I use a Squeeze Box -
    http://www.slimdevices.com/
    and bought mine from MultiTask Computing -
    http://www.multitask-computing.co.u...d=225&osCsid=af98d71ce68202ce7dcea04fbfd5ef18

I have ripped all my CDs onto my computer using some software called "EAC".
    The SqueezeBox can handle the following audio files:
    Lossless Formats (FLAC, Apple Lossless, WMA Lossless)
    Uncompressed formats (AIFF, WAV, PCM)
    Compressed formats (MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, MP2, MusePack, WMA)

With the SqueezeBox you also get the SlimServer software which runs on your computer.

I use a Netgear Wireless Router to "send" the audio from my computer (upstairs) to my Wireless SqueezeBox downstairs in the lounge. There is no apparent loss in sound quality. They do both a Wireless AND a wired version of the SqueezeBox.

My SqueezeBox is connected to my Arcam A85 amplifier and I have been more than satisfied with the SqueezeBox.

Using my computer to store the music gives me extra flexibility. If you want to upgrade the hard drive this can be done easily. I have also connected an external hard drive using USB connector to my computer for "backing up" my music collection. I currently have just over 14,000 songs on my computer and I can access them by Artist, Song Title, Album, Gendre, Year etc. You can setup an unlimited number of playlists. You can even stream live internet audio from your computer through the squeezeBox.

I have recently bought a Dell Axim Wireless Pocket PC (PDA). This makes controling the SqueezeBox even easier.

I think this is a better solution than a single box with a built in hard drive, as you can add to and develop your system much easier using your computer.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

Andrew Smith

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,104
    I use an old desktop thin client PC with a 160GB hard drive in it. It's a PIII 600MHz HP e-vectra - advantages are tiny footprint and only 30Watts maximum power consumption very quiet (but not silent) - disadvantages very slow ripping speeds.

iTunes is used to rip and sort the CD collection (Free) and 100% compatible with your iPod.
    I use the free music server from www.twonkymedia.de to make that music available over my wireless network. It reads the iTunes database so you get replication of everything playlists, genres, artists etc. Runs as a windows service so I just turn the PC on with the power switch (no need to log on) and power it off when I go to bed (no need to turn on the monitor).
    I use 2 Netgear MP101 music players (£70 each) to access the music - one connected in the lounge and one in the kitchen.
    The little e-Vectra is more than capable of running iTunes in the office and 2 connected MP101's without problems.

A smaller older desktop machine will be more flexible and much cheaper than a HiFi component and will rip as well as anything else