1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music storage as well as HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Lester's Cloud, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Lester's Cloud

Lester's Cloud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Researching my first HTPC and I really would like to include a music CD jukebox aspect to this.

Could anyone point me in the direction of:

The best software to RIP to either CD quality or near CD quality

The most flexible and easy to use & update jukebox software.

Realistically how many megs would a 1 hour CD take up at compressed, though CD quality?

Output will be digital through a 24/96 card to a Yamaha a/v amp.

Thanks in advance!

Lester's

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://mp3.radified.com/eac_lame.htm will help you convert your CD's to MP3 format.

At the moment Im just using Windows XP with a few shortcut icons which launch my DVD player (i.e put a DVD in the drive and click on this icon and a DVD starts to play..), launches WinAMP (www.winamp.com) so I can play any mp3 using one of the excellent winamp skins available for free on the internet. I also have a shortcut on my desktop for www.dscaler.org which is an excellent free TV program.

Although I have just seen this so Im about to install it to see if its of any use http://www.media-box.org/

I would say that a good quality MP3 would take up about 5-7megs so for an album of 12 songs your talking about 60-70 megs, although this depends on the total run time length of the album.

James

3. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Lester. In addition to James' suggestions, if you want CD quality rips, though at the expense of HD space, in my experience the best combo is as follows....

EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to rip from CD to .WAV. This is a great tool & has quite a few features that ensure perfect rips. I've been able to rip CDs perfectly that refuse to play without skipping in any of my CD players.

Then compress with Monkey's Lossless Compression. Excellent compression app that really is lossless...it even lets you revert back to the exact original .wav if you want. The tracks will take up more space of course....a 650mb album will take up about 350mb of HD space. Mind you, if you think about how cheap HDs are these days, it's not a real problem imho.

Media Jukebox is my favourite jukebox software, and a plugin allows it to play the .ape files (Monkey's tracks). You can also get a plugin for Winamp to play them.

4. Lester's Cloud

Lester's Cloud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent advice Shockabuku!

Checked out these sites and they look like exactly the combination I was after.

Now I just need to get that 160 GB drive..........:D

Thanks again,

Lester's

5. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    No worries Lester. Do take some time to configure EAC though...there are lot's of options to tweak. I think there's a pretty good FAQ on the website that's worth a read. Have fun!

Oh...and if you're clever, you can actually configure EAC to automatically do the Monkey's compression after the rip, without having to open the Monkey's app. :D

6. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Don't forget:
    1. MAD WinAmp MP3 decoder input plug-in which is reference quality decoder and can dither output to 24-bit resolution. http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/mad-plugin/

2. AbumList WinAmp plug-in http://come.to/albumlist

I have compared raw CD WAV's against Monkeys audio APE (via WinAmp's plug-in) against MP3 (256Kbps lame high-quality stereo encoded, playback with WinAmp MAD 24-bit plug-in).

I did this when I was using a Soundblaster live player digital out (upsampled to 48KHz) into a £1000 Denon AVC-A10SE out into Linn Index II's. I could not hear the difference. Tried a blind A/B/C with my neighbour, he couldn't either.

Perhaps one day I'll retry now I've a Delta Audiophile card (bit perfect 44.1KHz or high-quality analogue) as it definitely added more air to the soundstage.

Can anyone honestly tell me they can tell APE over a good MP3?

btw, a big plus point about APE files is that like MP3, they can store ID3 track and album info so WinAmps Album plug-in can be used to play back whole albums in the correct track order otherwise it's best to rip with track numbers at the start of each filename.

Rob.