Music Steamer recommendations for Chord DAVE DAC

frankieboy21

Standard Member
Reaction score
May I have anyones thoughts and recommendations on a Music Streamer to use with a Chord DAVE DAC please. Currently I have a subscription to Amazon HD but may be looking at going over to Qobuz since the announcement of the Amazon price increase. I will be using Headphones solely in this system.
Thanks to all who chime in.

As you are using a DAC then a streamer with a digital output is needed.

The budget choice at the moment seems to be the WiiM mini at £90, then onto the iFi Zen Streamer, the Project Stream Box DS and then the Primare NP5. Getting a box with Amazon integration may be the biggest difficulty but Qobuz is on most. Also as you are using the digital out, I think the sound difference will be quite small and the software stability/usability may be the defining feature.

As you've got quite a nice toy, maybe looking at something by Bluesound. Their Node is a fully fledged streamer which can be used many ways including via optical/coaxial ensuring you can send the right signal to the Chord Dave DAC

I'm sure others will recommend it plus other devices for you to ponder over

As you've got quite a nice toy, maybe looking at something by Bluesound. Their Node is a fully fledged streamer which can be used many ways including via optical/coaxial ensuring you can send the right signal to the Chord Dave DAC

I'm sure others will recommend it plus other devices for you to ponder over
Agree, Bluesound the best OS that I have tried. Has Amazon built in, the TEAC, for one, does not. I use it to output Radio Paradise MQA stream to the TEAC via coax. If I chose to A/b Qobuz out from the Node via coax vs the inbuilt TEAC streaming vs the Node’s own DAC it would be inbuilt TEAC first, but margins are relatively small. RP MQA sounds superb to my ears. There are many far more expensive streaming only devices on the market, but few seem to do Amazon natively. Fwiiw, I have tried Amazon and Qobuz is well worth the small premium. Playing rp from the node sorry, blurred photo
2572538D-952B-4AEB-9343-15A49B21CFC3.jpeg
2572538D-952B-4AEB-9343-15A49B21CFC3.jpeg

Last edited:
Agree, Bluesound the best OS that I have tried. Has Amazon built in, the TEAC, for one, does not. I use it to output Radio Paradise MQA stream to the TEAC via coax. If I chose to A/b Qobuz out from the Node via coax vs the inbuilt TEAC streaming vs the Node’s own DAC it would be inbuilt TEAC first, but margins are relatively small. RP MQA sounds superb to my ears. There are many far more expensive streaming only devices on the market, but few seem to do Amazon natively. Fwiiw, I have tried Amazon and Qobuz is well worth the small premium. Playing rp from the node sorry, blurred photo View attachment 1682417View attachment 1682417
That's a tasty setup you have. Luxman amplifiers are something else when it comes to raw power and I've always been mighty impressed with them. What speakers have you partnered with them?

Thanks. Dali Epicon 6. Excellent synergy with the Luxman - lucky because I couldn’t audition.
Agree with ugg10 above. I didn’t get on too well with Amazon interface on the Node. Qobuz would allow a broad choice of streamers and has most consistent SQ, imho

May I have anyones thoughts and recommendations on a Music Streamer to use with a Chord DAVE DAC please. Currently I have a subscription to Amazon HD but may be looking at going over to Qobuz since the announcement of the Amazon price increase. I will be using Headphones solely in this system.
Thanks to all who chime in.

Are you playing Amazon HD through the Chord DAC already? If so, I'm curious how you got that working at full bit rate. For example, do you use a wire between a phone and the DAC?

Last edited:
I attached my Fiio M17 DAP to the DAVE via USB. Brilliant to get me by but….. I’ve got my eyes on an Auralic Aries G 2.1 Streamer which has been offered for a brilliant discount price.

Ah OK thank you, that will explain that. Amazon HD doesn't always like to play ball when being output as a digital signal - so double-check that on a case-by-case basis when considering a new streamer.

Yes… not many about but the Auralic Aries G 2.1 is fully supported.

Yes… not many about but the Auralic Aries G 2.1 is fully supported.

I've just bought the G1 as I couldn't justify the cost of the G2.
Can't tell you whether it sounds much better than cheaper options because I just bought it based on reviews and recommendations.
I use Tidal via the Lightning DS app and everything sounds good and so far it works without any glitches/bugs.

I was just about to push the button on the Auralic Aries G 2.1 when I stumbled upon a a great Easter deal. In the end I chose a Silent Angel Munich M1T Streaming Transport with a Forrester F1 LPS and a N8 Network Switch. All units receiving glowing reviews online and at a price that was too good to miss. I'll update on sound and operation when received this week.

@frankieboy21 An audio grade network switch is total snake oil. If you know how TCP/IP networking works then there is no way a switch can improve the 'sound quality' of a data encapsulated into TCP/IP packets because at that point it is data not a music stream. Save your money

@larkone Many thanks for your advice. The N8 Network switch was a ‘freebie’ so no harm done. I will place it in line and then remove to see if there are any differences. From what was commented online and the tested results from other well known audio sites it was stated as ‘noticeable’. Looking forward to this install with great interest.

If it can it change/improve data as it says it can then I would strongly advise do not connect any device that actions any financial transactions as you will never be sure what it has changed :thumbsup:

Has anyone done a A-B comparison between different DACs but each being fed a digital signal from a Node? Guess I'm asking if anyone has proven to themselves that different streamers with the same external DAC sound the same or sound different.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom