1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music sounds MUCH better using amp's DAC

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Godfather, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    For the last couple of years I've listened to music using my Toshiba 900's analogue outputs to the amp and only used the digital coaxial connection for films. Over the Easter weekend, I did some A-B comparison and was really surprised that the (stereo) sound was so much better (much clearer and more detailed) when using the digital coaxial connection. The difference was very noticeable. I then tried different digital and analogue interconnects (just in case it was a cable problem) and the digital connection won hands down everytime. I always thought the Tosh was fairly competent as a CD player and so was very surprised by the result.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    The Toshiba SD900 is a pretty good CD spinner (for a DVD player) but I use the coaxial output into my amp (upgraded Denon A1SE) as the DAC´s are superior (Burr Brown) and four per channel are used in Pure Direct Mode. Also, when using a digital input it goes through AL24+ processing, something which is bypassed when an analogue signal is the source.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that the transport on my SD900E was fine, yet the DAC stage wasn't so hot. Even with my AVR1803 as the amp it sounded better using a co-axial interconnect, easier to discern between finer details - even if it did turn out a little bass heavy.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I also prefer the "digital sound", much cleaner and detailed as you described.

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not surprised. Although I have got the reverse situation. My amp is very old, a 1996 Kenwood DD/DTS Hong Kong import and don't laugh but my Limit 9900SE sounds better when using the analogue outputs.
    However I am quite certain that when the Amp gets upgraded the stereo playback is quite quickly moved to a digital connection to the Amp.

Cheers,

JP

6. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Have you guys that have a toshiba sd-900e got the audio outputs set correctly ?
    Ive had my player for about a year now and set the audio menu on the dvd to bitstream because i mainly watch dvd's, i asumed if i select cd on my amp the phonos from dvd to amp would output a analogue signal, aparently not, its a 2 channel bitstream, it appears that you have to select 2 ch analogue in the audio menu.

Does anyone else know this, or is it just me ??