Question Music server......

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Martyn35, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Martyn35

Martyn35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi guys,
    So my current system is
    Cyrus Xp sig dac
    2x X power amps (both have psxr2)
    I'm now looking for somewhere to store all my cd's which can also stream music & radio station, the unit which has caught my eye is the Novafidelity x50, but am just wondering what else is out there?
    Cheers Martyn

2. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A simple cheapo PC with co-ax digital output and Jriver software installed on it.
    (it does just about anything and can be remote controlled using a tablet or a phone)
    However, your DAC is not a network DAC is it?
    A direct connection would make it work.

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,250
    Given the low price of computers and the high price of Audio Equipment, I've always though it would be a good idea to connect a PC to a Stereo or AV Surround system. Plus, while I can stream from my Blueray Player, I like the On-Line interface for Netflix, Amazon, and Youtube better.

Unless you also want to play games, you don't really need a gaming computer for Netflix or Music Streaming. A run of the mill mid-priced computer will do.

I always though the console style near-gaming Corsair Bulldog would blend well with Stereo Equipment -

Corsair BULLDOG Gaming PC Kit + Asus Z270 Motherboard

However, all you really need is a Streaming Device which can run between £300 and £1500, and some NAS (network attached Storage), and you can access your music from anywhere in your home.

External Hard Drive, Hard Disk Drive, HDD, Seagate Hard Drive, Western Digital - Scan.co.uk

You can get more than 1tb of storage for about £75.

The Bluesound NODE-2 is about £500, and NAS Hard Drives are relatively cheap, and would not require you to have your computer on. The NAS is always on the Network and its content is always available to anyone on the network whether your main computer is on or not.

But for some things, a good basic PC with Music Server software should do a pretty good job at a pretty fair prices, and have the additional option of actually being a usable computer.

Steve/bluewizard

4. Martyn35

Martyn35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the replies fellas, although I like the idea of a computer space is a bit limited. Might have to do a bit more research into a Nas system, I could then go down the route of a cyrus streamer?

5. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +710
    Novafidelity produce fine products and fits in with almost all electronics, Other items to consider is the Naim Uniti Serve, these are an outgoing product and bargains are to be had for a similar price to the X50

Cheers, Shane

6. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I went down the PC route with my media server. It was originally cobbled together out spare parts I had lying around running Windows XP and Nero MediaHome with three 500GB disk drives set up as a 1TB RAID array.

Over time the system evolved and is now running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with Mezzmo 5 Pro (MediaHome doesn't install on server platforms) and 16TB storage which has just about all my CD's, DVD's and Blu-Rays stored on it. Mezzmo will transcode video and audio on the fly so any DNLA enabled device can be used to view/listen to the the stored content. It also doubles up as a cloud server.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  7. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,548
    The Brennan B2 is a popular one-box solution.

Given your current Cyrus-based setup, I'd have though the Cyrus Stream Xa or X Signature to be the obvious match, in combination with a separate NAS with DLNA. A good NAS device could be a RAID-based Synology.

I stream from a NAS over the LAN, with my Loewe, Oppo, Panasonic and Rotel all able to deal with rendering. The Rotel RT-1570 is the hi fi component, also including FM, DAB and internet radio, for the streaming. That said, my main music source remains the physical CDs - but perhaps it's just the magnitude of the task of ripping 6,000 of the things that puts me off doing it.

The important question is what storage capacity you need, so you should probably work that out up front. Running out of space is a real annoyance, especially if the storage is part of a bigger box with other functionality. This is one of the reasons I prefer "separates".

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  8. bruny

bruny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
  9. Martyn35

Martyn35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the replys fellas, as much as I'd like to go down the Nas route with one of the cyrus streamers, it's still gonna be a multi box system & i'm really looking for a one box solution. The brennan looks like a nice bit of kit especially when connected to my Dac. Are there any other units I should look at?

Cheers 8)

10. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,362
    A budget laptop would do the job as would one of the net-top type PCs. Either should be comfortably accommodated in an AV rack.

Why are you hung up on a one box solution? You're exposing yourself to system failure that you can't resolve yourself or worse still, the manufacturer abandoning the product.

11. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,548
    Mechanical storage devices are subject to failure, and therefore you need a decent backup solution if you no longer have the original source media. Of course, of you do rely on the availability of the source material for disaster recovery you do have to rip and catalogue everything again. RAID-5 systems can assist in increasing availability by tolerating single component failures.

An alternative to the Brennan I recommended would be Cocktail Audio.