1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music server help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by marcm, Aug 8, 2004.

1. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking into setting up a music server, to send the sound into my Yamaha amp and control via the TV.
    I currently have a 300 disk cd changer Sony - bought 20 months ago. Additionally I have another 700 CD's to add. I have a baby on the way (hence the need to put the disks out of sight)and want to load all the CD's into either:
    - My PC (add an aditional HD) and set up a wireless link to my av amp and TV. Extra HD will be needed.
    - Sony HARLH500 (approx £300) CD player and 80GB HD stores max 1000 cd's in attrac? not sure on the quality
    - Resurrect my old PC 1.3 ghz and put new HD in and use that exclusively
    - Finally Try one of those barebone systems (shuttle or similar) but it's giving me brain ache working out what I need / don't need ie Windows?

Has anybody done similar or point me in the right direction. Budget is important as I am about to buy the Panasonic TH-42PE30B - whilst I still can.

Thanks

2. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help??

3. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going down a similar route - keeping my CD player etc for when I want to 'listen' to music 'properly', but I wanted something more convenient for just general listening, parties etc.

The plan is to recylce an old PC (1.13Ghz Athlon, 768Mb RAM, 250Gbx2 HDD) for use as a file/backup/music server which will reside in the cupboard under the stairs once it's finished. Network connectivity will be handled by a 54Mbps wireless card (D-Link - upgradeable to 108Mbps if I'm feeling brave !). This should have enough room to store all my MP3s for use at home and in the car.

As for playing them through the hi-fi........ my current plan is to use a Squeezebox from Slim Devices - in fact I've just finished laying the network cable while I re-decorate the living room. Why didn't I go for the convenience of the wireless version ? - because having invested in a 54Mbps wireless network it seemed a bit daft to plug in a 22Mbps device and slow everything else down.

All that's needed then is the server software to stream the music which is free from Slim Devices and compatible with iTunes so I can even listen to my music on my laptop at work :cool:

It's going to take a few more weeks to finish the decorating, cabling for projector etc - I'll give you an update when it's all in place and working.....

4. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark
    Thanks thats put an extra spin on it. I'm a bit confused with the wireless element. Are you saying the Squeezebox is 22Mbps?
    In reality what effect will that have on the music connection? I'm not in a position to put cabling in, so the wireless link looks appealing. In this case it may be easier for me to add an extra HD to my existing PC and set up a link from there. What would I need. Also will you get visibility on the TV as a monitor for selection or just be able to do it from Squeezebox? Sorry for all the questions!

5. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the SliMp3 player (basically an older version of the Squeezebox) with a wireless Ethernet bridge - streaming music from my Apple Mac music server (basically an old dual 450 G4) via my home network which is a mix of 22/54 devices. I feed the SliMp3 directly into my Pioneer reciever. So far so good. My equipment is in a dedicated HT room in the (sort of) basement and the server and wireless router are three stories above - it all works seemlessly (mind you, it is Apple) - setting up the SliMp3 is a snap and the software integrates brilliantly with iTunes, enabling you to have in effect the same choices as the computer version. If you are anywhere near Bedford, I'm happy to demo it for you.

Simon

6. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marcm,

Yes, the squeezebox is 22Mbps, which is plenty fast enough for streaming music. My reason for using the wired version is not because of the performance of the wireless squeezebox - it's to prevent my 54/108Mbps wireless network from having to run at 22Mbps to support the squeezebox.

Wireless routers / access points that are 54/22/11 compatible have a knack of running at the speed of the slowest component which is something I was keen to avoid, and as I'm rewiring the room and decorating it seemed the sensible thing to do.

To get everything up an running you'll need a wireless router / access point if you don't already have one, either a wired or wireless connection to the PC and finally the squeezebox itself. It should then be a case of installing the Slimserver software on your PC and away you go. As for displaying information on a TV, I'm afraid the squeezebox doesn't support this (not a problem for me as I've thrown the TV out !) - it relies on it's own display.

Hope this helps,
    Mark

7. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marcm,

I've just seen where you are.... I'm just up the road in Bracknell - if you're not in a hurry then you're welcome to a demo in 4 or so weeks time...

8. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark
    Thanks I may take you up on that, sometimes too much reading on a subject muddles the brain. I have heard about a media box which does it all but I can't remember where inc video files etc

9. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marcm,

If you want video as well then maybe try the Neuston - no idea what it's like though....

I'll let you know when my system is finally up and running.