1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

music quality

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Peter Shilton, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am listening to my music CDs through my DVD player via an optical digital output to my Toshiba DD RPTV and then into Eltax millennium Power tower speakers with a built in active sub.

At higher volume levels it sounds crap and the speakers seem to be distorting. For listening to Movies etc half volume is plenty loud enough and is sounds great. For listening to Loud rock music and 80s disco type (through just the 2 front external speakers (and sub)) and turning the volume up to about 80% it is terrible.

I would have thought that my TV amp would not provide enough power to distort the speakers.

The speakers are rated Music power 150w, nominal power 100w, frequency response 30 – 22.000 Hz, impedance 4-8 Ohms. I can change the low pass crossover frequency for the sub between 50 and 250Hz. I normally set it about 80.

Help.

PS Yes, I know its my own fault for listening to 80s disco music but any constructive help on what I need would be appreciated.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
  3. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but it is the TV volume I am turning up, Surely the tV should be able to out out the power that its volume conrol says it can?

Therefore, are you saying that a "proper" amp will play the same speakers louder, as it appears that it is the speakers that are distorting.

When I say louder, I mean louder clearly, as opposed to just more noise.

eg at 110db you can hear all the words clearly with a "proper" amp, whereas throught at TV 110db will sound distorted.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Your TV will only output something like 7-10watts and by turning up the volume control too high you are getting distortion from the amp.

The speakers are being underdriven not the other way around and a decent external amp should give you clear sound at much higher volume levels.

5. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I'll dig out my old Technics amp and try it.

6. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Peter,

One main reason that the volume goes so high (high enough to dirve the amp into clipping - hence the distortion) is because of the huge differences that can occur in recording level (and hence the line level signal at the amp). If you tried a relatively 'quiet' recording which was at a lower level your amp would not be distorting at the same apparent volume setting.

Tim

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I reckon it doesn't matter which recording you listen to or how loud it is. If you remember that a seperates amp reaches max. clear volume around 12'o clock, then a telly is just the same. Cranking it up to 80% is just gonna distort the sound, no matter what you listen to or which speakers you use. You are always going to be hamstrung by the limitations of the telly's little amp.

8. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I connected my old Technics pro logic amp to the eltax speakers and listened to some classical music played on the DVD.

It was loads better.

Even my wife commented how good it sounded.

I have to assume that the movies will improve similarly, even though I was happy with what I had.

So I need a decent amp. Sony STR db1070 looks favourite at the moment.

This is what I wanted to avoid as I dont really have the space under my TV for it so it will have to be connected 20 feet away in a seperate unit.

But my biggest problem will be centre speaker. Wont fit on top, cant go underneath, wall at back is trickey due to curtains, so might have to be ceiling.

This "buy a new TV" idea has got out of control

9. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I am now the proud owner of a 1070.

It looks great and sounds great. A bit complicated though.

Can I put all my boxes (Sky, DVD, video player and Amp) over the other side of the room and just run a component video link to my TV?

The distance will be about 25ft away. Will the component video deterioate?

This will allow room for a centre speaker in the cabinet under my TV.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Afraid not. The component video in the amp is throughput only and won't convert signals. If your DVD player outputs component you can use that but the Digibox and VCR don't.