1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

music or movies..or both??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by kiddi, Nov 14, 2003.

1. kiddi

kiddi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a new dvd player (pio 565) to replace my old one (nad L55) and while I was at it I also bought myself an av reciever (Sony Str-db790). My first!

I knew beforehand that the music sound from the av amp would probably not be as good as from my old stereo amp (hk650) and it's true. How do I connect this all togther so I can watch films through the av amp but listen to cd's throught the H/K amplifier??

Currently I only own of a pair of speakers (B&W 602's) but I'm plannig on getting myself the Kef "eggs" for the home cinema, while still use the B&W's for music.

How do I set this up? or should I just quit thinking about it and buy the Nad c521BEE cd player and have two seperate systems??

please help??

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    If your reciever has pre-outs then this is what you should do:

Connect the front L/R preouts to an input on HiFi amp.
    Connect front L/R speakers to HiFi amp.
    Connect DVD to Receiver & CDP (and all other HiFi equipment) to Amp or if useing DVD for CD playback connect digital to AV and analogue sterio to amp.

When watching a DVD set amp to the input used from the AV
    When listening to CD's set amp to the correct input and leave AV switched off.

When you get the Eggs are you going to use the B&W's for music only? If so then you will no longer need the preouts from the receiver into amp.

Mark.

3. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    AFAIK the 790 does not have pre-outs.