Music-only sub

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the obvious choice, the Proac ER1?

I know it's pricey at £1K but Vickers HiFi are selling a cherry one for £795.

Any good?

You can't speak for it at all if you have not heard it.

MADMAND said:

He didn't "speak for it" but merely made a suggestion

MADMAND said:

:rolleyes:

I was refering to your comment on the monolith.

MADMAND said:
I was refering to your comment on the monolith.

Now I'm even more confused! :rolleyes:

Scott3,
Good thought about the Proac, but I can't find any reviews on it. I would be surprised if it were rubbish given Proac's usually high standards, but the stats are not overwhelming at the price (even £750). I am reluctant to spend that much without some sort of information. I s'pose I could look for a dem at a dealer.
Meanwhile keeping an eye on the Rel, which remains at £304

I was refering to this comment by Ian J.
I haven't heard the Monolith and whilst I don't doubt that it would go louder and probably deeper than a Storm I can't speak for it's nimbleness which is what is all important to you.

Thank you for your helpful contribution to this thread MADMAND and I look forward to your equally useful thoughts in other threads too :rolleyes:

if you go 2nd hand, just to save you losing out, make sure you check the sub if possible before you buy, if not as soon as you get it, make sure its not on the way out.....there are various things you can do to test it, mainly involving running different signals through it at both hi and low level.........if you buy one thats knackered then its money down the drain......

if you can get a storm 3 for that price in good nick, then gopher it tho!...lol...however brand new, i think its worth you aiming for the Strata 5.....have a listen, its good :)

I am beginning to get a bit confused. At the moment the options seem to be
1. buy a BK XLS 200 for £279
2. get lucky on the storm 3, avoid ebay overspend mania and hope it works
3.spend rather more.
If i go for option 3 should i spread my net a little wider. After all i notice that the velodyne SPL 1000 can be bought new for 800 or thereabouts on the "buy now sell your children next year" basis, is attractively small and comes with DSP. Would a REl stampede or strata be better or worse?
Of course I could probably demo them assuming there's a dealer who sells both.

Definitely demo. For some unknown reason I was definitely going to demo my front L + R's, but wasn't that bothered about demoing the sub; I was just going to go on reviews :eek: .

Thanks to Ian J I made sure I had a listen before committing :smashin: .

If you are fussy about how you want your music to sound then definitely demo

I would imagine most of the Rel St range will be good (perhaps from model 3 onwards) since they seem to aim more at hifi people. I think probably most of the St 1's etc. are possibly very outdated now, but I don't know.

Your requirements are slightly different to most people here as you are predominantly after a sub that will add a little extra depth to your music and if it were my money I would try and buy the Storm at a good price bur bear in mind that not everything on Ebay is as good as it sounds.

I would also recommend that if you live near Southend that you pop into BK's place and listen to both the XLS200 and the Monolith but if that isn't convenient I would suggest that you try and find out whether there is an XLS200 owner near you who would offer you demo facilities as I'm not sure that it would be worthwhile spending more if the BK will give you what you want.

A face off between a suitable Velodyne and equally suitable REL is also a possibility if you can find a dealer that stocks both and you are willing to up your budget.

I have just noticed (I really must try to do some work) that there is a Dutch company selling "brand new in box" on ebay at apparently attractive prices -storm5 for £745, strata for £576. Mind you I wonder whether I would have to pay import duty or VAT, in which case the benfit would be less clear.
I have sent email asking if they are Uk voltage.

Steerpike said:
I have just noticed (I really must try to do some work) that there is a Dutch company selling "brand new in box" on ebay at apparently attractive prices -storm5 for £745, strata for £576. Mind you I wonder whether I would have to pay import duty or VAT, in which case the benfit would be less clear.
I have sent email asking if they are Uk voltage.

Yes, I saw that. There shouldn't be anything to pay, since it's in the EU. I think the only thing you have to make sure is that the price includes VAT in Holland (it is Holland isn't it). If VAT is not payed in Holland & included in the price, you will have to pay for it here.

T.

Don't forget to add around £100 for postage unless they clearly state they will pay it or charge less than ordinary private parcel rates. :nono:

VAT is higher in some countries than others. Be sure where you stand on this.

Your bank might charge you for currency exchange.

Nimby

Well the Storm 3 escaped at £499. It would have cost £40 postage and did not even have an interconnect lead, so on the whole I think I'll manage to sleep tonight. Looks like 1 or 3

Nimby thanks for additional words of warning- the site does quote postage price which look to be rather less than £100, but I will check if I decide to go down that route.

if you buy from abroad, make sure first that REL will honour the warranty in this country (check with REL, not the people selling it to you), im pretty sure they will, but its best to check, also make sure they will repair it in this country and you havnt got to ship it back to Holland, that could get costly...lol, private shipping rate for something that heavy aint gonna be less than £80 if memory serves correct...

however if you would prefer to keep the cost down a little, REL Strata 5 at 7oaks, only £625, um and ahh for a bit then say if they can chuck on a Neutrik speakon cable for free you'll take it.....heh (if you like it of course...however they wont have much else to demo it against in 7oaks, only the Q range RELs or the PV1, or possibly an M&K......)

edit: you dont need a conventional interconnect if its just for use with a Hifi, you need the hi-level Neutrik Speakon cable.....which thinking about it may actually come with the Strata 5, cant remember if mine did now or not..lol, i already had a couple from my Quake....lost one, bought another, needed a longer one, found the first one, sold one to a friend....dunno where i am with them now..lol) In which case, get them to bung on a useful item instead of a Neutrik if its in the box already.....they wont knock the price down anymore on the REL unless you've already been a good customer.....

(one reason i'm glad i picked up my home cinema in bits and pieces over 2 years.....kept on getting extra discounts on top of the sale price, plus cables chucked in free...lol....its knowing when and how to ask, in my work i convince people to pay for somethign they can have for free, so im a better salesperson than one in a hifi shop..lol)

Im running a Strata 5 and i find it very capable for both music and movies.
Go try one..

I know others have said this here already,but after making up a list of the subs you want to try,the most important thing you can do is to take some time and try as many as possible with your own system,at home.

Integrating a sub properly with a system isn't always the easiest thing to do,and probably more so where music is the prime consideration,so experiment with the subs you try,and get the best you can out of each before deciding which to buy...a bit of time taken now saves a lot of time and money later.

Knyght Byte-
is 625 for a strata 5 the ordinary price at sevenoaks, or have you spotted a special offer. I thought that was what they charged for a stampede

ok, usual price in black for the strata 5 is £700, but they had it knocked down during their summerfest type sale to £625, according to teh website, if you look under products, then hot products, its still £625...

at least it was last time i checked...lol

i'll post this then have a look.....im a little drunk so this way round makes more sense to me...heh

yep, its still at the nice price...the stampede is at £500, but tbh, if you go to the shop and look at them, even before listening, you will see the £125 extra for the Strata 5 is moooore than worth it...lol...its almost twice the volume i think....and its sooo nice to listen to......i love mine....i got it a xmas card already :)

ok, mebbetoo much wine now...

btw, if you ask nicely, im sure they will let you bring your speakers in to the shop so you can check them out with the subs they have in store...they usually carry one of each model that particular shop stocks the line of (altho they may not have it in stock to sell you that day, usually a couple day wait after you pay, to keep their insurance costs down for theft in the shop..lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom