• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Music & Movies Audio from Scratch, Stereo Amp & AV Receiver

hobosoap

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm starting from scratch with building an audio system for both music and movies in a relatively small living room, about 5 x 4 meters.

I'm more interested in music listening than the audio for films. Therefore I'd like to have a dedicated stereo amp for music with two floorstanding speakers.

I'd also like to have 5.1 sound for movies, sports, gaming etc.

As I'm unsure how best to go about setting this up yet my budget is flexible but let's say 3,000 Euro as a starting point for a Stereo Amp, AV Receiver, and all speakers.

My first question would be should I plan to

A) Run the stereo amp and two floorstanding speakers for music completely seperate to the AV Amp and a seperate set of (small) 5.1 speakers?

Or

B) Use the floorstanding speakers as the two front speakers for 5.1 (aswell as for music with the stereo amp) and if so what are the options for doing this as regards having a seperate Stereo Amplifier and AV Receiver?

In option A I would be looking to split the cost 2/3rds towards the stereo setup and 1/3rd towards the 5.1, or maybe even more in favour of the stereo.

If I were to go for option B and most of the spend is on the Stereo Amp and the two floorstanding speakers, will I be comprimising the stereo setup by whatever way I need to integrate it and the floorstanding speakers into the AV Receiver for 5.1?

I've spent a fair bit of time looking for info online on the options for achieving B) above but haven't found anything too helpful. If anyone could point me in the direction of some good articles on the topic that'd be very helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom