Music > Movies amp set up with low budget?

Topgrin

Novice Member
Music > Movies amp set up with low budget? I have just purchased my first ever music/movie speaker set up the Q Acoustic 3050i 5.1 Cinema Pack with the 3020i Rear Speaker upgrade. Currently using a Yamaha sound bar in a largish room so hoping for a bit of an improvement in surround sound for movies. I am still to purchase a receiver but really like the look of the Sony STR DN 1080 which at around £500 is all I am really looking to pay (kind of) ……

Background: music takes priority over movies (but I still wanted the fun of surround) and all I do is stream music and movies there are no CD’s, Blue Rays, records, etc …just stream everything.

I am worried that the Sony 1080 is not going to be able to deliver music as clear and defined as I am looking for (here is the kind of) if I spend a bit more is there a solution? I read in a forum here (@Rambles) that for better music adding a Beresford switch and any stereo integrated amp would be an option to help improve the hifi. Can you elaborate? Any suggestions on the stereo amp? As each pound spent, after the £500 on the Sony, is now “officially” above budget how low or perhaps old (used market) can I go?

Thank you

gibbsy

for better music adding a Beresford switch and any stereo integrated amp would be an option to help improve the hifi. Can you elaborate?
AV amps at your budget point are going to be relatively poor with stereo music. The Sony you are looking at is perhaps one of the best for music at that price point but it in no way can compare to the quality you will be likely to get if you paid that amount of money for an integrated stereo amp.

A lot of members use a stereo amp alongside the AV amp into which all your music sources will be connected. The easiest and most convenient way would be to use a stereo amp that has HT by-pass but with a Sony 1080 or most amps within your budget this would not be possible as they do not have the requisite pre-outs. The way around this is to use a Beresford 7220 and a standard stereo amp. In this way you can still use the same front speakers. Same as using the HT by-pass amp you basically running two separate systems.

A lot will depend on what your expectations are when it comes to music. You may very well be happy with how an AV amp performs and as an AV amp is so important to any set up then there really is no need to jump in feet first with a stereo amp but to live with the AV amp of your choice for a few months.

Of all the entry level of AV amps probably the best make is Marantz but these may be above your budget if it is rigid. I would follow these with Yamaha or the Sony. Denon would be bottom of my list.

D

Deleted member 39241

Hi. We are going to struggle to keep you at, or even near £500 I think.

Arcam AVR's are great for music and movies, usually the entry price point is £2000+ but currently the AVR390 is being sold off by Peter Tyson as end of line at £1299. But I am guessing that is too far out of budget.

An AVR with pre-outs and a stereo amp with HT bypass, is another option, but the total cost of both of those two devices is going to be around £2000, so that is probably out as well.

Your original thought of entry level AVR plus entry level stereo amp and a speaker switch is not a bad one. I would go for one of the entry level Denon's over the Sony you mention, so the Denon 1600 at £400 + the speaker switch at £100 plus a stereo amp such as the Marantz PM6007 at £500 comes in at £1000, but they are very entry level devices. I'd suggest paying the extra £299 and getting the Arcam AVR390.

One other option is one of the slimline Marantz models that start at £449 for the Marantz NR1510 (Richer Sounds) they are nice devices, I have one on my desk, and it does sound acceptable for music. It is lacking in power though, so the compromise there could be volume.

Topgrin

Novice Member
AV amps at your budget point are going to be relatively poor with stereo music. The Sony you are looking at is perhaps one of the best for music at that price point but it in no way can compare to the quality you will be likely to get if you paid that amount of money for an integrated stereo amp.

A lot of members use a stereo amp alongside the AV amp into which all your music sources will be connected. The easiest and most convenient way would be to use a stereo amp that has HT by-pass but with a Sony 1080 or most amps within your budget this would not be possible as they do not have the requisite pre-outs. The way around this is to use a Beresford 7220 and a standard stereo amp. In this way you can still use the same front speakers. Same as using the HT by-pass amp you basically running two separate systems.

A lot will depend on what your expectations are when it comes to music. You may very well be happy with how an AV amp performs and as an AV amp is so important to any set up then there really is no need to jump in feet first with a stereo amp but to live with the AV amp of your choice for a few months.

Of all the entry level of AV amps probably the best make is Marantz but these may be above your budget if it is rigid. I would follow these with Yamaha or the Sony. Denon would be bottom of my list.
Yes I read about that option in another thread and that is what I am interested in exploring but your advice makes perfect sense - wait try the AV reciever first and take it from there. So simple! lol many thnaks!

gibbsy

Yes I read about that option in another thread and that is what I am interested in exploring but your advice makes perfect sense - wait try the AV reciever first and take it from there. So simple! lol many thnaks!
Forgot to add. Welcome to the Forum.

Topgrin

Novice Member
Hi. We are going to struggle to keep you at, or even near £500 I think.

Arcam AVR's are great for music and movies, usually the entry price point is £2000+ but currently the AVR390 is being sold off by Peter Tyson as end of line at £1299. But I am guessing that is too far out of budget.

An AVR with pre-outs and a stereo amp with HT bypass, is another option, but the total cost of both of those two devices is going to be around £2000, so that is probably out as well.

Your original thought of entry level AVR plus entry level stereo amp and a speaker switch is not a bad one. I would go for one of the entry level Denon's over the Sony you mention, so the Denon 1600 at £400 + the speaker switch at £100 plus a stereo amp such as the Marantz PM6007 at £500 comes in at £1000, but they are very entry level devices. I'd suggest paying the extra £299 and getting the Arcam AVR390.

One other option is one of the slimline Marantz models that start at £449 for the Marantz NR1510 (Richer Sounds) they are nice devices, I have one on my desk, and it does sound acceptable for music. It is lacking in power though, so the compromise there could be volume.
Hi, thank you, some really good infomation there. As suggested by Gibbsy I am going to just get the AV receiver first and then if not happy look into a hi fi amp. I will do abit more research on the receivers yhou suggest and maybe some a little higher (as not getting other amp now) could stretch to maybe £700. Thanks again. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom