1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music & Movie Reciever - Advice Please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Teleport, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a KEF egg surround speaker package from a friend (KHT2005).

Until now I have only had 2 speakers connected to my Reciever (a NAD T750) but was now hoping to reap the benefits of surround sound.

One problem though.

I watch TV and DVD through my Panasonic DVD recorder (DMR-E85) which only outputs dolby 5.1 from it's digital optical out connector and my reciever doesn't have an optical input.

Therefore it's looking like I need to do one of two things.

1. Buy a new reciever (I have been looking at the Pioneer VSX-515).

2. Or By a decoder box with a digital optical input and suitable analogue outputs for reciever.

I don't really want another box in my living room so I think I will have to replace my reciever. But can't find any reviews for the Pioneer VSX-515.

I originally chose the Nad for it's ability to handle both movie and CD audio with equal competance and would like it's replacement to do the same.

Have things moved on enought in the last 6 years since I bought the Nad that
    I will be happy no matter what or is there a better option out there?

An advice would be apprieciated.

Thanks

John

PS. I might even consider the VSX-915 and I could do with the component switching to my Projector.

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    You can get an optical to coax converter from maplins if thats an options.

3. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Could give Arcam a listen to.......

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The Nad is a pro-logic amp I think, it has pre-ins so a player could decode but the Panasonic does not have on board decoders. A new amp is one option. If you really are happy with the Nad, a second player for digital duties is another option. They are available very slim and would take up little space. Just make sure it has pre outs. I would urge you to listen to the Pioneer before buying if you take that route. It may not be as musical as your Nad.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Theo only other option (though by the look of your budget its unrealistic) is to find a second hand processor from the likes of Rotel/Audiolab.

I would suggest you look at the newer Nad amps as you obviously like there sound but they are all over £300 :(

6. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input folks.

I've decided to go for the Denon AVR-1706 as it's predecessors had good
    reviews for both movie soundtracks and CD music.

It also has the added bonus of being able to switch component video signals at 100Mhz.