Music library help

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Iancity, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Right - I have read the faq's at the top of the page so many times but am still having problems understanding, pls bear with me.
    I have 1 computer and 5 ipods - me, the wife and three kids. On the old computer everything was done through i-tunes but there was just one library set up under my account, so that meant if one of the kids wanted to listen to music they had to come out of their account, log into mine, and then use i-tunes.
    I now have a new computer and am wanting to start off the right way. I tried using EAC and then foobar but it seemed a bit too fiddly for me (sorry!) and, although I-tunes could knack up the folders every now and then it was simple enough to use - so, is there any way in which I can have 1 library, and let all 5 users 'point' to it from their own account, preferably in i-tunes?

Thanks

2. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    Copy your iTunes folder to the Shared music folder then for each instance of iTunes under each user acount in Preferences/Advanced, set the iTunes Muic Library Folder to the Shared folder location.

Doing it this way means that ecch users Ratings, playlist, play counts are unique to their login while keeping a central music library (a users library index file is still loacted in each user My Music folder).

Only downside I've found is that if you add new music and want it in all accounts you have to ensure its ripped to the new Shared folder too and each account updated for the new music.

Also, ensure that deleting tracks/renaming options are disabled because if someone accidently deletes or renames a track it won't then be found in the other Libraries.

PS. I actually have my iTunes library on a server these days, not in the Shared Music folder, so multiple PC's share the same library.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009