1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

music/game/film headphones??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by NAI, Jul 13, 2004.

1. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i need a set of headphones for use in the dark hours or when i just need to be quiet.
    i will be using them for a variety of things; including films, music and console games.
    and they will be connected to a Denon AVR-2801 surround sound receiver.

ive been looking at the Grado SR60s. they have had great reviews and only cost about £70. but all the reviews i have seen only mention the music capabilities. does anyone know how they do with films or games??

or is there a better option out there for range of things i will be listening too??

any help will be massively appreciated
    thanks
    NAI

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    The SR60's strength is indeed music, they will indeed not be the best choice for games / movies since they lack the low end bass and positioning capabilities of other headphones.

You could consider the Philips HP890 I guess, about £50 or less and plenty of bass, reasonable positioning and easy to drive. A no brainer for that kind of cash.

3. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ive looked at that askdirect.co.uk web site thats been mentioned elsewhere. seems to be miles cheaper than other sites. ive also done a bit of reading of past threads...

what are sennheiser like??
    there are a pair of HD590s for about £90 on ASK. which is £40 cheaper than anywhere else i have looked. or the HD600s for £140. but thats pushing the budget a lot.
    ive read that the sennheiser headphones are sometimes a little difficult to drive, especially with portable devices, but if im using the 1/4" jack and like i said its a denon surround sound amp, that sound be good enough to power them shouldnt it?
    the hd580s seem to be highly regarded by some but they seem to be hard to find for less than £100, as some people seem to have found. bastards :laugh:

so i think its those HD590s for 90 quid.
    well it will be if someone has had a good experience with them?? or knows if they are any good??
    or if those philips HP890s do the same job for a little less, then i may go for them.
    (but if i can get a better pair of headphones for a little more then i dont mind paying that bit extra for a better experience.)(if im making sense at all any more?)

thanks again
    NAI

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    The Sony MDR-CD1700 from askdirect is definitely worth considering too.

5. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    great, another option.... :laugh:

thanks for the advice pbirkett. ill have to find some reviews, and a place local to me that demos headphones.

6. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    www.headfi.org is the best place for headphone info.

PS. I'd recommend looking into the Beyer DT531 too ;)

7. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    bought the Sony CD1700 from askdirect in the end.
    very happy with them so far, they sound great with my Denon (which is apparently very good at driving headphones. Denon pioneered dolby headphones or something?)

thanks for the advice pbirkett. that website you sugested tipped me towards the sonys, that you originally suggested, with the user info.

so im a happy chap at the moment :D
    surprised with how much detail they show up. some things im hearing, i just missed out completly using speakers - tannoy mx4s too.
    one down side with the headophones though.... you do look a bit of a muppet with them on. they are huuuge! :laugh:

8. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    the only thing headphones lack though... is 'feel it in your heart' bass.
    these CD1700s are doing very well at providing a nice tight sounding bass line... but they can never make you 'feel' the bass like a good pair of loudspeakers can.

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    I'm always a little shocked that my HD600s seem to give me that thumping bass you can feel through the floor effect: even though its not obviously!

They are also very comfortable over long periods of time. I originally used them at work for hours on end and never had a problem with them : unfortunately due to their open back design my colleagues campaigned fo rme to replace them or turn them down : finally after 5 years of nagging I relented!

I ended up with a pair of BD DT250 ( 300ohm version) which I've found to be nearly as good as the HD600s but a little less focused and missing some of that meaty bass. They are nowhere near as comfortable as the HD600s although in comparisson with most headphones are quite comfy.

Now I use the HD600s at home for late night listening and I must say I'm very satisfied : never thought I wouldn't miss the discete multichannel experience but its almost as good through the headphones.

They really shine with games though , both PC and especially Xbox !

10. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Nai, glad you like the CD1700's. Theres plenty scope for improvement with them too, I feel that with a powerful sounding headphone amplifier they might even surprise you with their bass.

I run Beyer DT531's out of a Rega Ear, and you can almost feel the bass with this combo.