music dvds

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dood, Feb 15, 2001.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I generally buy music dvds but hire movies. I feel that I can watch music dvds several times but am unlikely to watch the same movie over and over. How about more comments on this forum concerning music dvds. Everybody raved about the Eagles HFO disc when it came out but most people now drool over certain scenes or sound effects from movies.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm too upset at hearing that the Pink floyd pulse DVD has been cancelled [​IMG]

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Shine on you crazy di-ah-ah-mond

4. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Dood - I agree with you ... I got into DVD 'coz 5.1 music sounds so good - I must admitt that once I got the kit I got into movies too and IMHO if you get a good movie with a good soundtrack its all worth it (Gladiator would be a good recent example?)
    Back to music - The problem is the lack of decent stuff on DVD compared to films ...
    I cringe at some of the crap movies that they commit to DVD when, as RadioActiveMan has already said above, they cancel classic music concerts like PF - Pulse (bas!ards)

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

5. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Why has pulse ben cancelled?? I was really looking forward to this. It would have had to be the ultimate concert to see in 5.1 on a big screen. Shame.

------------------
    Don't think you are, Know you are.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 15-02-2001).]

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    I find it strange that you'd want to listen to music in 5.1. When you go to a concert the band is in front of you, not surrounding you. Admittedly I have never heard a 5.1 music DVD, so maybe I'll give it a try.

7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    1) No one will say why Pulse has been cancelled - Sony Music appear not to care enought to answer my couple of emails - All I know is that if you search for Pulse on the various engines & sites it come back as cancelled
    2) I appreciate a concert isnt strictly 5.1 but with DVD concerts the rear channels are used in a subtle way to enhance the experience - give it a try - for sheer sound quality regardless of your tastes Eagles HFO takes some beating but there are plenty of heavier examples Deja Vrooom / Metallica et al ... [​IMG]

------------------

8. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,425

SOK

Its called acoustics !!!

Unless of course its an outdoor concert.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    The names BUELLER...FERRIS BUELLER.

9. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SOK,

5.1 music DVDs, especially live concerts have one HUGE advantage over stereo... the audience is BEHIND you!! Front row seats, "man" ... <grin>

The moment I first heard The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over when the audience applauding behind you as they bite into "Hotel California", oh my .... that was me hooked totally on 5.1 music.

The Eagles makes subtle but extremely effective use of the surrounds, noteably also on "New York Minute" with the orchestra.

I also love the 5 channel stereo effect my Denon amp offers as I find it plonks me right in the centre of a ball of sound, which I personally find very appealing. It eliminates the speakers completely I find, enveloping you in sound.

Try and get a demo of The Eagles if you can. Great stuff.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

10. Chandler

Chandler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just dropping a quick note to say that I agree that music dvds are def worth getting and I also believe that you will watch these more than your films! I have a Madness DVD and Oasis and these sound amazing (esp Oasis which is in 5.1).

While I am here can anyone help me out I am trying to locate party in the park 2000 for my girlfriend (she has 1998 and 1999)but I can not find any listings can anyone point me in the right direction?

any help would be appreciated

11. Mikeonfreeserve

Mikeonfreeserve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SOK,If you've been to a Floyd concert you'd know that the band and it's engineers are past masters at steering effects.They had helicopters flying around inside Earls Court when some of the readers of this board were still steering effects in a pair of Pampers.

If Pulse has been cancelled then it's a tragic shame.But given that Roger is looking to pile the extras onto the DVD version of his latest(live)offering it maybe that a little healthy rivalry is what it's about and Pulse has been pulled to ensure when it is released it will be the definitive rock DVD.That's what I'm telling myself,anyway!

12. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I thought the Oasis "familiar to millions" DVD was a bit of a disapointment. The picture was fine but the sound was not at all good. The vocals were muted and playing around with the centre channel level didn't help much. There was a false sounding echo in the surrounds, presumably to add to the "stadium" sound but I found it distracting. The older "there and then" concert to me sounded much better. For music DVDs Metallicas "cunning stunts" is a fantastic disc. If you do not like that kind of music then its not your thing, but sound & picure quality are top notch.

------------------

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only listened to films , never music. Did not know you could get music in dolby digital. Only heard music on soundtrack of films. Sounds brilliant, so where can you get music from? Or is it available in 5.1 here in UK
    Cheers phill

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    someone mentioned king crimson's deja vroom, and yes, it sounds pretty good. as do both metallica dvds. i must say though, with metallica, in dolby 5.1, it sounds a little anaemic. the guitars lack that certain something.

15. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    On the subject of good music, I've got to recommennd Stop Making Sense, not least because it offers 5.1 live mix, but also 5.1 studio mix soundtracks.

On the subject of Pulse, I'm sure the BBC broadcast the concert about 6 months after the tour of the same year, could this be a factor in why Sony have delayed [as opposed to pulled I hope!]it's release ?.

16. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Yes they did. Floyd played London , Nov 94 I think which was recorded. Omnibus did a program telling the Pink floyd story followed by the concert. I've watched it on VHS many times. Hope it will make it to DVD one day.

Cheers.

------------------

17. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    This whole thread makes you wonder why 5.1 audio CDs never caught on?

18. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only recently discovered that there are a variety of dts CDs out there, so I'm still catching up I think.

I've ordered Alan Parsons: On Air (dts CD) and The Corrs: In Blue (DVD-Audio) to see how they play in 5.1. I'm just about to hunt around for the Metallica discs as I'd forgotten about those ones. Damn, new ideas ... as if I wasn't spending enough on DVDs already!

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone suggest a site to buy dvd-audio discs from? i use play but they only have a couple.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looking for a superb dts surround demo dvd,try roy orbisons black and white,right up there with hell freezes over, playing along side bruce springsteen,k.d lang etc,picked it up from play for £15 a bargain even has a dolby digital 5.1 soundtrack on it so you can compare the dts track against it,may even be better than h.f.o?.

21. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Source for music DVD's

Encore Direct have around 100 titles listed
    http://www.encoredirect.co.uk

Just ordered Rick Wakeman DVD, I believe it also comes with a music CD

------------------
    Put the bunny back in the box !

22. petec

petec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a relative newbie to home cinema I have a couple of questions-:
    Is there regionalisation of music dvd's ie R1 ,R2 etc and if so are there differences between the R1,R2 versions as with some movies?

23. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Petec ...
    Most of the DVD concerts I have are Region0 PAL which is fine if you are in Europe although it screws up those "across the pond" as they are NTSC
    Music only discs like Alan Parsons "On Air" previously mentioned (which it appears will be swallowed up by DVD-A) just need a DTS decoder to play (which is why DVD-A should catch on better as you only need DD5.1 to hear the DD5.1 track - you still need a DVD-A player to get the real benefit)
    Confused [​IMG]

------------------

24. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0