1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music DVD's- PAL/NTSC speed differences?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by nathan_silly, Sep 29, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the PAL & NTSC speed difference effect music DVD's?

My brothers got some music DVD's I wish to buy- some filmed over here (ie The Corrs concert in the UK)- and some in the US (ie 93-99 Madonna collection)

Would the The Corrs concert on Region 1 be 4% fast? since being converted from PAL to NTSC? (I'll be buying the NTSC version)- and the R2 is correct?

And the 93-99 Collection be correct? (NTSC version)- wheras the R2 is fast?

:confused:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Unlikely.

Speed and pitch differences only arise when the original material was shot on 24fps film (as used for theatrical presentation of movies). They are NOT standards converted, usually. They are Telecine'd (converted from FILM to video) at different speeds for the two systems and it is the telecine process to PAL video that causes the PAL speedup - not standards conversion.

Music videos are typically shot straight on to video (in either NTSC or PAL) and HAVE to be standards converted. Standards conversion does not change pitch or speed.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

What about digital movies?- such as Toy Story, Monsters Inc? I thought these would be easy to transfer from the digital master to PAL? Would all digital movies still have PAL speed up?

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Now that, I don't know. But, my suspicion is, that, even in the digital domain, material intended for transfer to film will be rendered at 24fps. And a PAL master of such material would retain its overall image quality best if it were transfered to PAL video at 25fps - hence I suspect it probably is speeded up. But I'm far from sure about this.