Music concerts on HD-DVD and Blu-ray?

Just received AC/DC Live at River Plate and boy, it is fantastic! The sound is truly superb! Certainly looks great too, well, as good as a bunch of old musicians can anyway! :p

Indeed. Stunning disc. Sound is awesome and PQ too

sea_surfer, did you ever get the paul mccartney concert?

if so, what do you think of it?

I have jus ordered Ennio Moriccone thelive concert from Venice.

I have it recorded from Skyarts HD but wanted it for my PJ so CDWow are now selling it..........................can't wait!!!

And for just £10.49 delivered too?

That is crazily cheap. Until now I think it was available only from the far east at a cost of at least triple that.

This merits a posting in the bargain forums, which I'm going to do now, crediting you of course.

Does anybody have Talking Heads Stop Making Sense on Blu?, is there any significant improvement on The DVD?

I have the Blu but have no idea how the DVD looks. What I can say is I was very disappointed with the Blu in terms of PQ.

Just ordered AC DC live at the River Plate after reading a few reviews, looking forward to it :D

Just ordered AC DC live at the River Plate after reading a few reviews, looking forward to it :D

Yeah ordered aswell hoped it would be here today but maybe tomorrow as its comong from play, knowing my luck probably next week :rolleyes:

Bri

I have the Blu but have no idea how the DVD looks. What I can say is I was very disappointed with the Blu in terms of PQ.

irascian, you've saved me a few quid, I'll stick with my dvd :)

irascian, you've saved me a few quid, I'll stick with my dvd :)

Well if you hunt around (most likely earlier in this thread) you'll find a couple of people who disagreed with me when I first posted about how disappointed I was with this title and that I didn't think it warranted a Blu-ray release, so YMMV. The trouble is the standard of most music on Blu-ray these days is so high, the quality of this came as a huge shock. Lots of dirt and print damatge with a lack of any kind of detail as I recall.

sea_surfer, did you ever get the paul mccartney concert?

if so, what do you think of it?

I bought it and received it on Mon. Great disc and a great concert. I saw him in Dublin in Dec 09 and it was a great night. Thanks for the recommendation.

Has anyone sampled Rush's 'Moving Pictures' BR audio disc? sound any good. Being a Rush fan I'll end up getting it anyway at some point

Just got a copy of the Hit Man Returns: David Foster & Friends on Blu-ray, I have to say this concert is absolutely brilliant, I have watched it 3 times over the last week ;) for anyone who never heard of David foster, this guy is a real genius, the songs he has produced is unreal, I must admit :blush: I never heard of him until a few months back. The sound is also amazing witht the DTS Master track :D

The highlight performances for me are the following:
Jackie Evancho "Pie Jesu/O Mio Bambino Caro" Stunning!! worth it for the disc alone :thumbsup:
The Canadian Tenors "Because We Believe"
Seal "Secret" Michael Bolton and Seal "When a Man Loves a Woman/It's a Man's Man's Man's World"
Chaka Khan "I'm Every Woman"
Lara Fabian "Caruso" Stunning :thumbsup:
Charice "To Love You More/All By Myself" Stunning performance :thumbsup:
Ne-Yo "Miss Independent"
Ne-Yo, Charice and Robert Randolph "Earth Song"
Martina McBride "Smile/We've Got Tonight"
Lara Fabian and Michael Bolton "The Prayer"
Donna Summer and Seal "Unbreak My Heart/Crazy/On the Radio"

10/10 from me :smashin:

Hit Man Returns: David Foster and Friends Blu-ray

Last edited:
Just recently bought a 60" telly box, so I have been buying a load of concert BDs to feed it. Recently I have purchased:

The Pretenders: Live in London
Rock n Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary Concerts (US Import - Region Free)
Billy Joel: Live at Shea Stadium
U2: 360 At The Rose Bowl
Amy Winehouse: I Told You I was Trouble
Primal Scream: Screamadelica Live
Bruce Springsteen: London Calling Live In Hyde Park
Diana Krall: Live In Rio

Very impressed with them all, but have noticed a very annoying trend. On discs where there are little or no extras, there is a tendency to create false "extras" by whipping a few songs out of the concert and labeling them "Bonus Tracks".

For example, on the Billy Joel concert he has a few guest artists join him on stage, such as Tony Bennett and Paul McCartney. On the night he also had Roger Daltrey, Steven Tyler and John Mellencamp join him for "My Generation", "Walk This Way" and "Pink Houses" respectively - all first rate performances. It's a real pain that you have to access all three separately from the menu as "Bonus Tracks" to enjoy them instead of just leaving them in the concert.

Even more irritating on The Pretenders disc, their two biggest hits "Brass In Pocket" and "I'll Stand by You" which were the encore numbers in the show are left out of the main concert and relegated to "Bonus Tracks", leaving the main concert finishing on a moderately well known number and with no encores. Wouldn't you love to meet the programming genius responsible for that decision?

Well if you hunt around (most likely earlier in this thread) you'll find a couple of people who disagreed with me when I first posted about how disappointed I was with this title and that I didn't think it warranted a Blu-ray release, so YMMV. The trouble is the standard of most music on Blu-ray these days is so high, the quality of this came as a huge shock. Lots of dirt and print damatge with a lack of any kind of detail as I recall.

I've always been happy with the DVD print, so I'll take your advice still :)

Even more irritating on The Pretenders disc, their two biggest hits "Brass In Pocket" and "I'll Stand by You" which were the encore numbers in the show are left out of the main concert and relegated to "Bonus Tracks", leaving the main concert finishing on a moderately well known number and with no encores. Wouldn't you love to meet the programming genius responsible for that decision?

What on earth?

That's crazy, never come across that before :eek:

Wow!

Just watched a BD that arrived yesterday, "The Rolling Stones: Live at the Max" (US import - region free).

This is taken from the Steel Wheels tour of 1989. If you have the live "Flashpoint" album, this is from the same tour and the band were in fine form.

AV is absolutely superb on this disc, particularly the video as it was filmed on the IMAX format so the source is first rate. Tracklisting:

1. Continental Drift
2. Start Me Up
3. Sad Sad Sad
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Ruby Tuesday
6. Rock And A Hard Place
7. Honky Tonk Woman
8. You Can't Always Get What You Want
9. Happy
10. Paint It Black
11. 2000 Light Years From Home
12. Sympathy For The Devil
13. Street Fighting Man
14. It's Only Rock 'N' Roll
15. Brown Sugar
16. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

I bought Foreigner rockin' at the Ryman and it will not play on my denon dbp 1611. Reading other reviews it seems this disc will not play on several players.

I bought Foreigner rockin' at the Ryman and it will not play on my denon dbp 1611. Reading other reviews it seems this disc will not play on several players.

Yep, won't play on my Oppo either. Apparently you can get round the problem by skipping to chapter 3.

Also they didn't use the centre speaker channel for some reason.

Yep, won't play on my Oppo either. Apparently you can get round the problem by skipping to chapter 3.

Also they didn't use the centre speaker channel for some reason.

Disc froze at 12 seconds and I could not get into the menu to get to the 3rd or any other chapter.:(

I have the Foreigner disc and it works perfectly on my Sony 760.It is a superb concert - excellent PQ + SQ. My wife and I then saw them in concert in June where they showed us just how good they were live. They were as good as we could have possibly hoped.:smashin:

I also bought the Bad Company disc a few weeks ago and,again,it is superb.Wonderful sound from a good band with one of the all time great rock singers IMO. Also got Status Quo :D and guess what??? Superb in all respects!!!!

Looking forward to Europe Live! At Shepherd's Bush, London [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Europe: Film & TV My wife and I went over to Glasgow from Northern Ireland last Feb to see them on this tour and had a fantastic time.They were very good live.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have the Foreigner disc and it works perfectly on my Sony 760.It is a superb concert - excellent PQ + SQ. My wife and I then saw them in concert in June where they showed us just how good they were live. They were as good as we could have possibly hoped.:smashin:

I also bought the Bad Company disc a few weeks ago and,again,it is superb.Wonderful sound from a good band with one of the all time great rock singers IMO. Also got Status Quo :D and guess what??? Superb in all respects!!!!

Looking forward to Europe Live! At Shepherd's Bush, London [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Europe: Film & TV My wife and I went over to Glasgow from Northern Ireland last Feb to see them on this tour and had a fantastic time.They were very good live.

I saw them in June with Journey and got the blu ray not long after. I am just hoping there is another release or a fix through a firmware update. Foreigner were class live.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Disc froze at 12 seconds and I could not get into the menu to get to the 3rd or any other chapter.:(

Use the player navigation instead. On my Oppo there's a GOTO button I can press to go to chapter 3. Should be something similar on your Denon.

Really must pick up that AC/DC Blu soon, the forthcoming Rush: Time Machine 2011 Cleveland Blu will be a must too.

Has any one tried any of the Tangerine Dream Blu's I've seen? not everyone's cup of tea but I like them.

Bought Black Country Communion "Live over Europe". Great band and a great disc. Glenn Hughes is absolute class after all these years. Sound and picture are excellent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom