1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music CD Playback via Marantz 4200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mwhorley, Jun 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. mwhorley

mwhorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do people feel is the best format for playing Music CD's. I have a Marantz 4200 and I'm not really that impressed with the CD playback when Using Pro Logic or Pro Logic 2. It's not terrible but most of the sound appears to come through the Centre speaker.

If I revert to simple 2ch stereo I feel the results are best but then I loose the bass that would normally come through the woofer.

To get the best results i'd have to keep switching between no sub (for CD's) and sub (for DVD's) on my amp config - which would be a pain.

Any other views on this ? - I'm using a Tosh SD100 as my CD / DVD source with Kef Sub and Q Speakers

Regards,
    Mike.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    When playing CD's use the source direct (s-direct) button on the front of the reciever and it'll bypass the bass management and audio processing stages.

3. mwhorley

mwhorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't notice this on the 4200 - I'll check tonight to see if one exists.

Regards,
    Mike.

4. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but if mwhorley uses the source direct for stereo then no signal will go to the sub unless the sub is connected through high level inputs. I guess mwhorley has connected it at line level and wants the sub to be in action. I have mine set up so all speakers are set to small and the sub connected at line level, if you then choose auto or 2ch the bass is still directed to the sub and you won't have to change speaker settings for movies.

I don't quite understand why you have to change to no-sub for CD's and sub for movies if has you said you want the bass coming through the sub when listening to music or have I misunderstood what you mean mwhorley?.