Music 'Box' Room - Denon v Cambridge Audio?

LeeB33

Standard Member
Reaction score
After a whole year of reading reviews and having an instore demo, I am looking to invest in brand new Hi-Fi separates for the first time. This is for my small box room (music room) which is only approx 97" (246cm) x 97" (246cm) so by no means a big spacious environment.

I have a brand new Audio Technica Turntable (that hasn't come out the box since purchasing last Christmas!) and am very nearly decided upon the KEF Q350 speakers. This will leave me wanting/needing an Amp, Network Streamer & CD Player. Most of my music play will be via Spotify using my phone or laptop in the room or playing vinyl.

Ideally I want all the pieces to be the same brand and same colour. I had opted to invest in the DENON 800 range (PMA800NE Amp, DNP800 Network Player & DCD800NE CD Player) which is about £1,000 for the three.

However, whilst they are all black and all Denon branded, I have been swayed by the CAMBRIDGE AUDIO CXN V2 and told it is 'THE' Network Player to have but it's over twice as much as a Denon amp, £800. If I go for a Cambridge CXN V2 they are now only available, from new, in Lunar Grey and if I do opt for that then I would need to also get a Cambridge Audio Amp (CXA 61 or 81) but then we'd be talking either £1,400 or £1,650 depending on whether it's with the 61 or 81 amp.

Can anyone offer any advice or opinions?...

Is the Denon range decent enough for what I want or should I be paying that much more and going with Cambridge? I've no real interest in radio stations etc, simply streaming or playing vinyl records.

Thanks

Have you tried any kind of sound system in that room? (Even a PC speakers or wireless speaker etc?).

I just wonder if may be worth seeing how the room sounds before spending a sizable amount of cash on a nice system and maybe never being able to get satisfaction from it due to flutter echos, ringing etc.

Given the size of the room & your intended use I'd seriously consider the Denon DM41 all-in-one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom