1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music & AV please help cut down the longlist

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wannabeav, Aug 2, 2005.

1. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I originally posted a similar thread about 6 months ago but unexpected expenditure came up! :thumbsdow Back on track now with more budget potentially. :smashin:
    Looking to get a new AV amp to replace a Kenwood 3020 stereo amp and Denon 1602 Av Amp. Therefore needs to be good with Music and AV. Will be running into Quad 11L front, Quad Centre, PSB Alpha rear and sub.
    Will be used for some time to come so needs to be good build and useful features. Long list is:

Arcam 250
    Denon 2805
    Denon 3805
    Pioneer 2014
    Pioneer AX5
    Marantz 7500
    Marantz 8500
    NAD 773
    Yamaha V2500

I know Mr Kazman loves his Marantz 7500, wondering if the 8500 brings much extra to the table. Likewise with the two Denon and Pio units. Also concerned about lack of features on the Arcam (although expecting good things). I'd like to get a shortlist to demo from the longlist. Can anyone think of ones to remove that they know are poor with music and AV.

Thanks all for any help.

2. Pianist

Pianist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No doubt NAD T773 sure beat other amps in this category if you want take into account both music and AV. No other machine can match him in terms of music playback and RMS power.

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without a doubt I'd actually add to the list - Harman Kardon AVR635 (can be had for £670).

I compared it to the 3805 and AX5 - in a different league, especially musically.

4. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx, quick question, has anyonw tested these bits of kit in a bi-amp setup? I may be putting too much emphasis on this feature, does it make that much difference (presumming all kit is of a similar level).

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Kazman has bi-amped his quads with his 7500 and was impressed witht eh results. Then he got an extrenal power amp and found its even better with an external then the internal amplification. I have the 1400 and it cant do internal but I am massively impressed with using an external amp especially in stereo.

I would jsut put it down as an optional extra and maybe use it as a deal breaker only.

Im sorry to say you have a superb list of amps to demo. The ones with the best musical rating are (IMHO) the Nad, Arcam and the Marantz. Now it will come down to what other features you want liek HDMI switching and componat upscaling etc.

6. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, got a demo on Saturday of the Arcam and 3805 along with a yamaha 2400. Shoud be interesting to see how they compare. Would still like to hear a couple of others. Need to be sure as these could be with me for a few years to come...

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Steer away from the Pioneer ax5. I personally found it too bright, too forward and not musical enough. As an cinema/movie amp quite incredible but preferred the warmth of a Denon amp with music.

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That certainly is a great shortlist!

I like my Marantz - depending on the features you need you could potentially go for the 7500 with an additional power amp for the price of the 8500.

You really need to get a demo of a model from each brand to get a feel for the house flavour. :)

9. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wanted to post a quick update and thank all for their help with this one.

I had the longlist (which got longer!) and ended up with a player not even on there! :D In the end I went for the Arcam AVR300. I've heard the pioneer and wasn't impressed in stereo so didn't know what to expect from today. Took along my kit and listened to the old stereo amp with my cd player compared to the Arcam DV89 DVD player. This sounded much better than the CD player - and the budget was about to blown out of the water. Then listened to the 89 with the Denon 2805, slightly better in stereo. Then went to the Denon 3805. Better again, things started to open up and started to hear things that I hadn't before. So far sold on the 3805.

Then went to the Arcam 250. WOW better by some margin. Convinced then to listen to the Arcam 300. Slightly better in stereo but the extra options on it make it more future proof for power amps, etc so for me worth the 'quiet treatment' from the wife :suicide: All being installed and set up on Friday so cant went. Went all out and bought a new centre speaker too - Quad 11C. Happy days!!

As I said, a big thanks to all that have helped :smashin: I have been reading the forums for months now, the help and advice on here is fantastic. I wouldn't buy blind based on advice but it helps focus the mind no end. I'm gonna play around next weekend and may start to post ramblings about how great it is - My apologies now!