1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music and the Yamaha RDX650

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by F G Evans, Jan 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought the yamaha 650 and have it connected to Tannoy5.1FX speakers (£420 for the complete set up).

I am extremely impressed with the sound when playing movies (far better than my old creative inspire system).

However i have not really been impresssed with the music and need advice on the best way to get quality sounding music from the unit.

At present the only CD sources i have are an x-box and a Tosh RDXS32 DVDrecorder.

These are connected by optical outputs to the reciever. Is there a better way to connect either of these CD sources to get a better sounding music from the amp ie would connecting a simple red,white cable to the amp from the DVD recorder produce a better sound than the digital connection

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The best way would to buy a dedicated cd player via analogue outs to the cd input on the yammy. I recently invested in an (old model) cd player and its head and shoulders above my musical Limit 900SE DVD player.:D

Try using analogue connects from the tosh to the amp and see if its better. If your using the standard (cheap free) cables though your not going to do the sound justice. Buy some analogue interconnects from Mark Grant on the power buys forum and then if you dont like the sound sell them on the forum. Someones gauranteed to buy them as Marks cables are serious quality :smashin:

IMHO coaxial digital cables sound better than optical cables as well so if your run is under 4 metres or so consider changing the optical to coaxial.

3. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been thinking the same thing with my Yammie 1500. I have a stand alone 5 disc yammy cd changer that i haven't hooked up yet. It is an older model with only rca outputs. So u think I shoudl hook that up instead of using the dvd player as my cd play? My panasonic dvd changer has double remastering in it. I find that makes a difference for cd's personally.

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you want to get unprocessed sound from the analog inputs, you also have to select the Pure Direct mode, otherwise it will be converted to digital form for YPAO and other processing that is done in the digital domain.

If you calibrated the receiver with YPAO and set it to another setting but "Front", it may have performed EQ adjustments to the front speakers, which may be off a bit and impair the sound for music listening. Using Pure Direct with a digital source should also bypass YPAO, so try it and see if it improves the sound. You may also want to check if you have multiple memory settings available in the RX-V650, in which case you may create one setting with YPAO and one "flat" setting for music listening.