1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music and Movies

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sounddog, Dec 17, 2002.

1. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

I'm looking to replace my current Marantz SR5300 in the next few months. I will have around £500-800 to spend.

I have 2 main requirements ...

1) it must be good for music as well as movies
    and
    2) must have full DTS-ES discrete decoding.

This will be mated with my B&W 600 Series 2 - 602 front, 601 rear (x3) plus Paradigm Centre which is due to be replaced if I can find a good s/h LCR6.

My current favorite (based on specs and reputation only) is the NAD T752 or T762 which I hope should sound similar to my NAD C320 which I really enjoy listening to.

My question really is ... is there anything else that will sound good for music and have DTS-ES Discrete either avaliable now or due in the next 3-6 months. I had been wondering if Arcam was likely to replace the AVR200 with anything supporting DTS-ES soon as appart from lack of 7 channels this sounds wonderful to my ears. :cool:

Thanks
    Victoria

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    The up & coming Denon 3803 may suit you, though its likely to be at the very top end of your budget (maybe a little over!).

Details HERE (scroll down to the 3803).

3. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just out of interest:

Why are you replacing your SR5300? I have this model & was thinking of mating it with B&W 601 s3's. Is there a problem with it driving the B&W's?

4. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounddog

I'm in exactly the same situations as you regarding price and concerns about musicality.

I too was quite interested in the NAD's but have been put off the T752 by the presence of an audible cooling fan - this would seriously p*ss me off.

I think there may be a replacement for the ARCAM AVR 200 available soon but no details have been released as yet.

Another option may be to use your Marantz SR5300 in conjunction with the NAD C320. As discussed here (amongst many other threads)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58931

pentode - I wouldn't have thought the Marantz would have trouble driving B&W's they are "traditionally" regarded as a good match

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How about a Denon 3802 and something like a NAD c370 or c350 for music?

MuFu.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    This is what I'm currently doing ... well with a C320. But to be honest ... I would prefer (if possible) the convinience of an all in one solution without having to alter the level each time I switched between listening to music and movies.

I have considered maybe an Arcam A75 as it has the "processor" input at fixed level. Does anyone know of other stereo amps with similar at a similar price.

Also ... I really want to "upgrade" to to DTS-ES discrete.

I've got the SR5200 (previous model to SR5300 and it drives the B&W 602 s2's fine. However listening to music through the Marantz just isn't as rounded or involved (to my ears) as through my NAD C320 into the 602s.

Well ... here's waiting to listen to a 3803 and do some comparisons in the new year.