1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music and DVD from same 5 speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mobily, Sep 7, 2005.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey all,

I have seen many pictures of peoples setup on this forum and it looks like the majority of people use the same 5 speakers for music and for dvd playback. Would that mean that the same amp/receiver is being used rather than 2 seperate receivers?

If this is the case can a standalone AV receiver handle music well?

I currently have an all-in-one system which I use for both music and dvd. However I am eventually going to upgrade to seperates for music listening. This would leave me with 7 speakers in the one room. However if I could ditch my all-in-one and buy a new setup I would.... after 10 years of saving :eek:

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Some AV receivers can handle stereo pretty well. As with a lot of things, it depends on how much you want to spend but the Arcam AVR250 and AVR300 do a good job with music.

John

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As johndon says,some receivers do stereo pretty well,and it's also fair to say that some dont.

An AV receiver is a compromise between the needs for AV processing and amplification etc,and can thus lead to some areas being left a bit short,and music/stereo is often that area.

The Arcams are traditionally very good,and some of the bigger Pioneers and Denons(not the budget priced ones),are also worth looking at.

4. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I've yet to hear any AV amp that sounds comparable to a decent dedicated stereo amp. Maybe I've just not heard enough.

There is a way to avoid having to use an AV amp for music, which is to connect things up as follows:

CD > Dedicated Stereo amp > Front stereo speakers

DVD > AV amp > Centre and rear speakers
    > AV amp via pre outs > Dedicated stereo amp > Front stereo speakers

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think you're right,and it does apply throughout the price ranges,but if a compromise has to be made and a receiver is the most suitable way for someone to avoid the cost of both a dedicated stereo system and an AV setup also,then it's also true that some make a better job of stereo than others.

I've tried a few including what was at that time Denon's priciest offering,and settled on the more expensive option of separates,but there is no denying the cost-effectiveness of receivers.