1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muscial Fidelity X80 vs X150

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Colint, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Colint

Colint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been after the MF x150 but have seen a bargain X80. Theres quite a difference in the cost, does the X150 justify the extra cash ?

2. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the MF website (http://www.musicalfidelity.com):

Uses same pcb as X-150.
    Has very similar sonic characteristics to X-150 with a little less power.

Upgradability. In UK only the X-80 can be upgraded to an X-150 at the retail price difference plus £50.
    -----------------

I own a Musical Fidelity A220 amp and it is an excellent piece of equipment with absolutely beautiful sound. It is constantly used as a reference by my circle of friends and often as a test mule for new equipment (CD's, speakers, etc). Its sound is amazing.

As for the X-80 or X-150. Get what you can afford and with the features you need. If you can afford the X-150, get it. That way you can drive the hardest speakers you can find (even electrostats) if you ever need to.
    This is the only thing I've come against with the A220, it's only 50W/channel (that sounds closer to 100W!! Even sounds stronger than my new Onkyo 702 @ 130W/ch!) and it had a hard time driving some BIG electrostats that were bi-wired AND 2 Ohms (nasty load at the best of times).

Otherwise, an excellent amp that REALLY gives you the music on the source, nothing else. A quick google came across this: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/perl/409_printreview.htm

There's no doubt others that will give similar reviews. If you can, listen to both and THEN pick your preferred option. You won't be disappointed.

CfP

3. lardy

lardy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Colin - are there more than one of the X-80s available?
    If so could you PM me with the details as I am in the market for one to replace my A100 as front channel amp....
    Thanks
    ian