1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Murder One - Region 2 DVD Problems?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Sep 6, 2004.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Can anyone help me please? I own a multi-region Pioneer 626D DVD machine, and I treated myself to "Murder One: Case 1" today - a superb show I might add! :clap:

Anyhow, whilst the episodes all play fine, I have a really annoying glitch, and I need some advice.

On four out of the six discs, the Main Menu introductory sequence to each disc always plays badly. The picture disintegrates into digital blocks, the sound cuts out every so often just for a split-second, and the on-screen movement of the characters rusn anything but smooth.

The thing is, though, everything else on each of the discs is perfect! :confused:

I've cleaned my DVD player, but that makes no difference, and the discs are totally spotless and clean? Could this be a major authoring error by 20th Century Fox, or is this a deliberate special effect of some kind? (It doesn't look like that, but I guess it could be that.)

Any help, would be greatly appreciated! Has anyone else had the same problems? Thanks. :)

Pooch

2. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would try them on another player first if the discs then play fine its your player. And if thats the case it could be the players firmware and unless pioneer ever did a software update for your player it may be time to get a new machine if its an old model

3. POiSON

POiSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'll try my set bro - asap - let you know

4. HAEMATINICUS

HAEMATINICUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although not of much help, I have a similar problem with Screamers (region2).
    I have had 3 copies from different sources. Each exibits the same (or similar) problems to PooccJD.
    This particular DVD will only play correctly on a 4 year old Toshiba (220e). The PC, laptop, new Sony TV with built-in DVD and my Pioneer 868 will not play the film correctly.
    I know that there are some very bright enthusiasts out there so ...any ideas chaps?

5. POiSON

POiSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried dvd's 1,2 and 3 today - and the menu's are real bad.
    the motion is all stuttery.

I've tried this on 2 dvd players, and they were both the same

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Well, I've now exchanged my copy three times, even tried another set from a different company, and still have the same problem - DVD plays fine on my laptop, and some cheapo DVD players, but not my £400 Pioneer 626D machine! :mad:

In all my years of owning this machine, I've never once experienced any kind of DVD problem, no matter what disc I tried, and regardless of what region.

So, what do I do? Return my copy, get my money back, and then wait for a Firmware update that's probably not even needed, or do I try getting in touch with Fox and/or Pioneer and finding out what on earth is the problem?

If my machine plays every single DVD fine, except "Murder One", but the "Murder One" discs all play fine on other machines, then what's the real problem - the discs, my machine, or something else?!

Pooch

7. Steve10086

Steve10086

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found this forum by typing "Murder One DVD menu error" into google. I have exactly the same problem with the menu screens on some of the Murder One discs (I haven't yet watched them all, but have the problem on discs 2 and 3, but not 1). I also planned to return the discs to the shop for an exchange but thought I would check online first.

Spookily I also have a Pioneer DV-626D player!

I have tried the discs in my Philips DVD Recorder and although the menu portions are a little shaky (I can't tell if they are supposed to be this way!) there is none of the "blocking" that you described and that I also get when playing them in the Pioneer.

I guess there is no point in returning the discs if you have tried that and had the same problems repeatedly. As you have found, the actual show itself plays fine, so I suppose I will hang on to what I have, and just keep wondering what the problem could be!? I have never had any other trouble with the Pioneer.

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi Steve,

Welcome to AVForums! :)

Sorry to hear that you are having the same problems as me. However, from what you say, this does seem as if it's a uniquer problem to Pioneer 626D players.

Is yours a UK Region 2-only machine, or multi-regional?

And does anyone know how to get in contact with Pioneer and/or Fox DVD about this issue?

I find it difficult to believe that it's a DVD player fault, seeing as other "problematic" discs play fine, e.g. those that have the seamless branching facility, for example. So why is the "Murder One" set being so troublesome?! :confused:

Pooch

9. Steve10086

Steve10086

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pooch, and thanks for the welcome :thumbsup:

Yes, my player is also multi-regional.

And no, I have never had any other problems with it either. Have heard about various discs being troublesome in the past, but the Pioneer has handled them all perfectly.

Am I right in thinking that by playing the Murder One discs, and getting the 'interference', I won't actually be damaging either the discs or the player?

If no damage is being done, then I will live with the problem. But it is annoying!

Steve

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi Again,

Nope, as long as the discs themselves aren't scratched or physically damaged, and your DVD player has been cleaned with a lens-cleaning disc recently, then you shouldn't damage your DVD player. However, don't take this as gospel. I don't know your particular machine, or how it normally plays a disc. But, in theory, no damage should be being caused, because the problem is with the way Fox has encoded the menus onto the disc itself, rather than yours (or my) DVD player not being able to play them correctly.

Pooch

11. kmurph

kmurph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I get this same "effect" on my Toshiba SD330 with Murder One too, so I don't think it's unique to one particular player.

12. me2005

me2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone ever find resolution for these problems. I am having it with Murder One case 2 ....I have case 1 and 2 in the one box set and case 1 dvds play fine.Case 2 dvds cannot be played except for the first chapter on each disk.I have philips 610/05 recorder.Going to any other chapter or scene selection it hangs the dvd player and it switches itself off after about 30 seconds.The dvds will play in another philips dvd player.Yet my recorder will play all other dvds without problems.

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Sorry, but I never got the problem resolved. Was told it was just an issue with certain players being "outdated"! (Yeah, right! :mad: )

I personally think it's down to lousy Quality Control and crap authoring on the part of 20th Century Fox! :mad: :mad:

Either way, I exchanged my DVD set three times, and still couldn't get a working copy. So, in disgust (and extreme anger), I simply got a complete refund, and felt very :censored: off with Fox, for allowing this to happen.

If every other DVD I play in my machine, from anywhere in the world, plays fine, then I don't think my player can be classified as "outdated" by Fox. It seems to me, that they simply can't be arsed to sort the issue out.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful. You could try phoning or e-mailing Fox, but I don't think you'll get anything decent out of them. :thumbsdow

Pooch
    (Not impressed with Fox for this "mistake"!)

14. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I had the same issue on my Pioneer 668 (which I don't have any longer). I haven't tried them on my Pioneer 575 or Denon 3910. I do agree it is a real problem - the thing is that it only appeared on those 2 Fox releases. I also got Millennium season 1-3 around the same time (they were release around the same time too) yet not a single issue (except for the disk where it wasn't even recorded - but that's a totally different issue).

Yes quality control would be good etc. I even mentioned it to Fox when I had the Millennium issue and it was the first they'd heard of it - or sales speak for god another one with this problem we're never going to fix.........