Munich High End Show 2015 Show Report

NickInWiltshire

£8000 for a DAC? A DAC? How do you justify selling a DAC for more than a 65" OLED TV?

I mean, I know all the prices are bonkers, but a DAC - and only running at audio speeds.

johnjay

A lotto winning persons dream... I didn't realise the XTZ were that big (even though i'd say they are superb) Not speakers for the average living room. There are smaller packages i'd imagine though of the new line...

Jag of the Bailey

Distinguished Member
A lotto winning persons dream... I didn't realise the XTZ were that big (even though i'd say they are superb) Not speakers for the average living room. There are smaller packages i'd imagine though of the new line...
The room looked far better than the pic suggests. The speakers were all fairly close together since the room wasn't particularly wide. The Germans were blown away by what they were seeing and hearing in the room. Photographs galore followed. The obsession with bass is consistent with what I see here with a lot of forum members. The setup does indeed look very good in a living room albeit you wouldn't have everything quite so many subs crammed together... The dual 3x12 were presented and we switched between dual 3x12 and dual 1x12 upon request.

Installing a pj in the room was impractical with people coming in/out and walking past the lens.

I've attached a pic of the room taken from my phone.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1431940418.489324.jpg

I'll post further in the Cinema series thread so as not to detract from Ed's wonderful write up.

johnjay

Yeah when I look at it again as Spacecat says the TV size makes the speakers look huge in scale. But put an 100 inch projector screen or £2.5k:smashin: 1080p 75-inch Sony w85 & it would look the business imo.

That bass hunger for more & more can't leave many with a nice balanced sound Id imagine, just earth quake like shaking bass. I think my total would be the monolith plus or XTZs version. I love the look of SVS's PB2000 too, but two of them would be too much for my space at least. But I can see where bass strength would drop though in a long rectangle shaped or really big room that would leave the enthusiast to realise he/she may need more room filling bass.
Im sure ^^^ would do a really nice (as in :facepalm: :confused: o_O :eek: :thumbsup:) job!

Great pic Jag & would leave a lot of AV heads envious or wanting them.:smashin:

cmclean

Hi Ed

Did you get a chance to check out the Trinnov Altitude wondering what your views were on it if you did?

Thanks

geogan

Really sick of these designer turntables. I mean €2,800 for a belt drive (what looks more like an elastic band drive from picture) turntable? Ridiculous.
All these turntables are all fancy design and chrome and basic function (form over function?).

Technics replaced crappy cheap belt drive mechanisms and all its disadvantages with much superior variable direct drive motor in SL1200 how many years ago now, over 20 years? It has been demonstrated that the motor torque was enough to rotate a man standing on the turntable.

It would beat the pants of any of these stupid overpriced, designer turntables in all functionality and it only cost about £400. I have two SL1210s (later version) myself I got maybe 15 years ago.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
The room looked far better than the pic suggests.
Entirely true- actually getting into the room to get a pic at all was a challenge so this was the best of a bad job.

Hi Ed

Did you get a chance to check out the Trinnov Altitude wondering what your views were on it if you did?

Thanks
Sadly I didn't. It sounds crazy but two days isn't really enough to get everything done at shows like this.

Really sick of these designer turntables. I mean €2,800 for a belt drive (what looks more like an elastic band drive from picture) turntable? Ridiculous.
All these turntables are all fancy design and chrome and basic function (form over function?).

Technics replaced crappy cheap belt drive mechanisms and all its disadvantages with much superior variable direct drive motor in SL1200 how many years ago now, over 20 years? It has been demonstrated that the motor torque was enough to rotate a man standing on the turntable.

It would beat the pants of any of these stupid overpriced, designer turntables in all functionality and it only cost about £400. I have two SL1210s (later version) myself I got maybe 15 years ago.
As we covered in a recent podcast, good direct drives are capable of exceptional performance. Technics themselves felt that noise floor was an issue though. They felt that the SP10 was the deck that met their requirements in this area in that it was equivalent to belt drive and the resulting deck was vastly more expensive than the 1200/1210. The 1210 can sound pretty good but if you use it with a low output cartridge the motor is often audible which is not an issue with belt drives 'crappy' or otherwise.

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
I did have a quick google but couldn't find the answer!

Is this show open to the public as well?? Obviously missed the boat this year but certainly looks a great show!

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer

Is this show open to the public as well?? Obviously missed the boat this year but certainly looks a great show!
Yes it is. I think a pass for all days (handy given the size of it) is about €30.

geogan

As we covered in a recent podcast, good direct drives are capable of exceptional performance. Technics themselves felt that noise floor was an issue though. They felt that the SP10 was the deck that met their requirements in this area in that it was equivalent to belt drive and the resulting deck was vastly more expensive than the 1200/1210. The 1210 can sound pretty good but if you use it with a low output cartridge the motor is often audible which is not an issue with belt drives 'crappy' or otherwise.
Oh right. I never heard of the SP10. Was this released after or before the SL1200? Looks like 70's design?

I don't know about low output cartridge but with the standard or more expensive Stantons it is amazingly good at what it does (feed a professional Pioneer DJ mixer in a dark sweaty nightclub originally).

ps. I like the summary on http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-1210.shtml the "The SL-1210 has to be the most professional and most reliable turntable on the planet." nuff said.

Jag of the Bailey

Distinguished Member
Superb! Think I'll pen that in for next year!
Great show. Well worth attending. I'd set aside either a full day or a day and a half to soak it all in. Thursday's are trade only, the remainder are open to the public.

The great thing is that a shuttle bus runs every 30 mins to and from the airport with the journey time taking around 30 mins. I met a few Brits whilst out there including Nick from Home Sound. Top guy. If I'd known Ed was out there I'd have bought him a pint or 9.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
If I'd known Ed was out there I'd have bought him a pint or 9.
I have to say, it might be me getting old but I was amazingly puritanical* this year. I was back at the hotel before midnight both nights and didn't tip over into a hangover at any stage.

*I did consume what I can only describe as a 'Pork apocalypse' on thursday night of which only this blurred picture remains;

I stress, this was a sharing platter. I didn't eat all of it myself. Just a fair bit.

SATM

I attended this show several times in the late 1990s when it was held in Frankfurt.

There was so much to see, and hear, that I used to spend the two public days there.

This is a link to the High End Society website.

HIGH END® - HIGH END Society

yecora

This show usually (and this year too) open first day only for trade & press - no crowds, can listen and talk easily everywhere. The rest of the show is opon for general public and there are A LOT of people visiting it, so if you do not want to pay 40 EUR or do not have a exhibitor to let you be invited with a promo code - use Sunday morning and you will have less people in and more relaxing atmosphere.

Also should mention about another similar show, which is going separately but in same time near MOC in Mariott hotel - called Hi-Fi Deluxe Show. http://www.hifideluxe.de/ They are not even close to Hi End show, but systems shown there were much more expensive and interesting - FM Acoustics (Swiss) did a nice music reproduction through their system with apprx cost of around 750 000 - 1 000 000 CHF (roughly 1-1.1 to USD).

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom