1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mum, what's that?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Piglet, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a pair of B&W 603 S3 speakers for my fronts. But as i still have time to return them i was pondering wether the new 604 speakers would be worth shelling out for. Mainly because of the larger drive unit and innevitably improved mid range with music.

But the problem is...My amp is only a sony STR-DB940, now 6 months ago this seemed great as i was still only a beginner, but is it powerful enough to drive the 604's and really do them justice in a small-medium room??? I don't have much clue when it comes to matching a reciever to speakers. For the 603's it works a treat. Don't get me wrong, they are brilliant speakers especially considering their in a small bedroom, but it was just a thought.

2. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry i meant a SONY sony str-db1070

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's difficult to see what there would be to gain from using 604's instead of the 603's as you do not give the dimensions of your room. Could be that there would be no significant difference in changing speakers except that you will have even less room. OK you will benefit from more bass but this is not necessarily a good thing in a small room.

Too many if's and but's will make any recommendation virtually meaningless. Best bet is to get a pair of 604's on loan to demo in the room, real world listening has no substitute.

By the way, if bass is your goal, why not try a sub?

4. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aH I'VE DECIDED TO STICK WITH THE 603'S. I ALREADY HAVE A RELQ200 SUBWOOFER, AND THEY SOUND BEUTIFUL. IT WASNT THAT I WANTED MORE BASS, JUST THAT THE MID/BASS DRIVER WAS BIGGER, SO I THOUGHT IT WOULD HAVE A RICHER MIDRANGE WITH MORE BODY. I HAVE A 4X4 METRE ROOM, SO THERES NO NEED. BUT IT WAS ONLY JUST A THOUGH ANYWAY. THANKS.