• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Multizone package that allows streaming of FLAC, playback of Spotify and radio

mephistophelean

Hello

I am interested in a multizone system that allows streaming of FLAC but also allows access to Spotify and radio.

Do Sonos and SB allow this? My understanding is that Sonos does stream FLAC but doesn't currently have access to Spotify or radio.

Having read the forums, I think SB allows access to Spotify but not to the radio.

Sonos has hardware that has built in amplifiers (so could connect directly to ceiling speakers) but SB doesn't so if I use SB as a solution then I would need to buy a separate amp as well. Is this right?

mephistophelean

Shame about Sonos not allowing radio access because our family listens to a lot of radio (both music and discussion programmes).

Is there a multizone system that does allow this (perhaps SB)?

eyeballKid

Do Sonos and SB allow this? My understanding is that Sonos does stream FLAC but doesn't currently have access to Spotify or radio.

No Spotify currently, however, Sonos does do Napster for a fiver a month. Not sure how Napster compares to Spotify for catalogue and new releases, but if your requirements are streaming rather than specifically Spotify, it may be worth investigating further.

glenlevisohn

Hello

I am interested in a multizone system that allows streaming of FLAC but also allows access to Spotify and radio.

Sonos can stream FLAC and internet radio, but has no Spotify support.

Having read the forums, I think SB allows access to Spotify but not to the radio.

SB can stream FLAC and internet radio.
In a recent development, SB also can stream Spotify Premium but this is currently in the beta stage. See SB forums for further info.

Sonos has hardware that has built in amplifiers (so could connect directly to ceiling speakers) but SB doesn't so if I use SB as a solution then I would need to buy a separate amp as well. Is this right?

That is correct.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom