• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Multitools & custom/airports

Flash80

I am going to the states for our annual summer holiday and was wondering if anyone has ever brought any multitools (gerbers, Leathermans) back wih them. Are you allowed to bring items like these back in your suitcase.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Needs to be in the hold luggage

From experience they have been ok when put into the hold luggage attached to keys but taken off you if on your person due to the knife/sharp tools - that was a mini leatherman confiscated i believe

D

Deleted member 30535

Deffo hold luggage. Gatwick tried to confiscate a small Swiss Army knife that I forgot I had had in my laptop bag and which had gone through Manchester adn Gatwick check-ins twice a week for 6 months before it was picked up.

The irony is that I could have picked up a metal knife in the Exec lounge before boarding. There needs to be some common sense with hand luggage.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Be careful if you are travelling with one ( I usually do to be honest but I still find a swiss army knife much better than a leatherman...the blades hold their edge better and the tools just perform better).

I was in the caribbean and travelled on a ferry back from the British Virgin islands to the US Virgin islands ( distance is only a few miles). You have to clear US customs at the BVI end. I was sailing so a multitool is very handy.

US customs confiscated a leatherman "juice" from me. Reason being I would have had access to my bag on the ferry. Bloke told me I would have been okay with a diving knife though which I thought was bizarre (diving knife is usually about 8 inches of serrated dagger!) No problems with the flights though as long as its in your luggage. I took one to India for a few months too.

To be honest I wouldn't want to be sailing without a knife on my person ( in case you have to cut yourself free) so next time I go it will be be the dagger instead of the pen knife!

IronGiant

They will confiscate a pin off your baby's nappy if you carry it on board. So long as it is a legal item in this country it should be OK in hold luggage.

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom