• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Multiswitch distribution.

ncmoody

I am trying to understand the finer points of multiswitch distribution systems

I am looking at eBay :-
Item number:150455614796 Vision 5 x 8 multiswitch
and
Item number:190400872447 Konig 8 way muiti switch.

Both seem to want a Quatro not a quad LNB.

Questions

1. are there any multiswitchs that can use quad LNBs (setting each of the 4 outputs to LoH, LoV, HiH & HiV as required.

2. all four types of signal are available on each line - are they switched or multiplexed or combined?

3. would I need 2 lines to feed a Plus box or could a single line be 'split' between the two inout (and still have full functionality).

Is there a system similar to these that can take Multiple LNBs, pointing at different satellites, would that require 4 inputs per Satellite.

hog

1 , most multi switches req a quattro lnb and work no problems , if you try and use a quad you ll run into problems unless the switch sends out the exact voltage and tone req for each band (most do not)

2 once connected to the multiswitch they will be combined to each output

3 you ll need 2 lines per sky plus/hd/pvr box splitter cant be used

and you can get 5,9,13,17 input switches if you req different satellites

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
There is still a few about that will work with a quad lnb

eg

Conrad Electronic - System Information[1]=uk_insert&cookie_v[1]=8V&cookie_d[1]=&cookie_p[1]=%2f&cookie_e[1]=Wed%2c+21-Jul-2010+12%3a31%3a16+GMT&scrwidth=1024

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
1 Multiswitches suitable for quad lnbs seem to be no longer manufactured - possibly because of reliabilty problems as the multiswitch itself also had to generate the switching voltage and tone signals for the lnb (with a quattro this is not necessary as the quattro lnb has fixed outputs).

2 The output to your receiver is determined by the control signals (13 or 18V and 22kHz tone) sent by it to the multiswitch

3 There are systems called SCR and Stacker/destacker which will combine two or more signals down one cable but are not cheap and require 2 or mor outputs from your multiswitch. The SCR system requires SCR compatable receivers and there are not many around. This alternatives are only suitable if you only have one existing cable with no chance of fitting a double cable and are NOT cheap.

Note also that use of a multiswitch means using a larger than standard dish for your area (next size up i.e 60cm instead of 43 or 80cm for 60) to compensate for the inherent signal losses in the multiswitch. Also quattro lnbs are NOT manufactured for Sky minidishes and you will require a standard "round" dish.

Last edited:

ncmoody

Hog: if the signals are combined, why do I need 2 lines to a Plus box and why will a splitter not work ?

Graham: thanks but link did not work, will keep an eye on eBay for a Conrad one as I have a spare quad and quatros are £20+

Dave: Although my sky dish is a mini I do have a 60cm above it from the original Sky analogue service (currently fitted with a monoblock for 13E-19E) that could be re-aligned and the Monobloch put on the minidish (might work !).

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Hog: if the signals are combined, why do I need 2 lines to a Plus box and why will a splitter not work ?

See my editted reply with further info. Splitters will not work as the multiswitch or lnb require control signals to send the appropriate band down the cable and two different bands would involve two conflicting signals ( 13v/18v and 22kHz tone) and may even damage multiswitches/lnb or receiver.

Last edited:

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Quad compatable multiswitches may be a false economy as they were generally more expensive than quattro ones and less reliable/long lasting. Also you should not use a Sky quad on the round dish so will almost certainly need a new quad anyway. Sky lnbs will either not pick up the top and bottom of your round dish's signal or worse pick up background noise from the sides around the dish - they are designed to focus on an oval dish and as you will be using a multiswitch you risk getting severe "rain fade" and loss of satellite signal in bad weather.

Last edited:

ncmoody

Dave: I presume from your answe that Hog's comment about the signals being combined is inaccurate and the switched output has to be selected just as the output from an LNB has to be, that would explain why a splitter is useless.

Would it be reasonable to say that these distribution multiswitches are Matrix switches in that each out can be electronically switched between each input.

Would it also be fair to say that the ones that can take multiple LNBs have DiSEqC switches in them as well to select the correct LNB. (bet they are expensive)

Last edited:

hog

dont waste your money on a quad compatible multi switch , if they do work they dont last for long ! the signals are combined as thats what a multi switch does as well as feed x amount of points , it just wont combine 2 lots of sky signal down one cable , that why you need 2 for sky plus ,
a 9x8 multiswitch is around £150

Last edited:

ncmoody

Well Thanks guys - I have learn't a lot.

Particularly that this will not solve my problem of wanting to power multiple receivers from a single cable.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
dont waste your money on a quad compatible multi switch , if they do work they dont last for long ! the signals are combined as thats what a multi switch does as well as feed x amount of points , it just wont combine 2 lots of sky signal down one cable , that why you need 2 for sky plus ,
a 9x8 multiswitch is around £150

They don't actually combine signals from the inputs onto one output - they actually switch the output between any of the inputs (with some actually diplexing the RF input on to all outputs - the 5, 9, 13 etc input ones) using the control signals from the receiver - 13V, 18V, 22kHz (and DiSEqC on the 8,9,12,13 and above input multiswitches. So yes all inputs are available on any output BUT only one at a time.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Well Thanks guys - I have learn't a lot.

Particularly that this will not solve my problem of wanting to power multiple receivers from a single cable.

With SCR technology you can actually connect 4 tuners on one cable - either from appropriate SCR switch or SCR lnb BUT the receivers must also be SCR compatable and of Sky boxes I believe only a Pace box is so compatable.

ncmoody

With SCR technology you can actually connect 4 tuners on one cable - either from appropriate SCR switch or SCR lnb BUT the receivers must also be SCR compatable and of Sky boxes I believe only a Pace box is so compatable.

I have only found 2 way SCR switchs and they run out at £75-100, shudder to think want a 4 way would be. My Sky+ and HD boxes are not Pace either. :(

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
I have only found 2 way SCR switchs and they run out at £75-100, shudder to think want a 4 way would be. My Sky+ and HD boxes are not Pace either. :(

If you think that is expensive try looking at optically cabled lnbs and switching boxes which can be distributed via one fibre optic cable to over 64 boxes - I believe only prototypes are around so far.:eek:

ncmoody

If you think that is expensive try looking at optically cabled lnbs and switching boxes which can be distributed via one fibre optic cable to over 64 boxes - I believe only prototypes are around so far.:eek:

Now we are getting into Star Trek country with ODNs and 'Gel Pacs' etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom