Multiswitch - Best Make ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by russellg, May 1, 2007.

1. russellg

russellg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a block of 6 Flats, we all have SKY and the original builders laid additional cables to all flats.

SKY is provided via a Labgear Multiswitch MWS508 LC with 8 outlets, by replacing this with a 12 outlet Multiswitch and wiring up the spare cables we can all get SKY+.

My question is , who makes the best Multiswitches ? (or are they all basically the same)

Thanks in advance.

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Define "best"? Do you mean cheapest, smallest, prettiest, most reliable, types that work with a quad-output LNB, types that can be powered by the receiver, lowest loss, types that will diplex an aerial signal.... ?

3. russellg

russellg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Price and size (within reason) are not an issue, so I guess the requirement for 'best' is;

Lowest Loss/Best Signal Output

The current Labgear is mains powered and has quad input.

4. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Quad input is rare. Mostly they require a Quattro LNB.
    Loss is tricky. The technical specs are hard to come by. You'll probably have to email the manufacturer. Bear in mind that "loss" is usually measured at one or two spot frequencies under ideal conditions.

5. malsat

malsat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Vision V75 series use quad lnb rather than quatro so you dont have to remember whats H\L V\H makes life easier.

6. danlee

danlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget trying to use the existing quad - never works very well in my experience (for what it's worth).

Swap the LNB for a Quattro and get yourself a nice Triax multiswitch.

Bear in mind also that new technology (single cable routers or stacker/de-stackers) allow both dish feeds to be fed down a single cable. This option is more expensive but when ofset against the labour saved wiring all the flats it may be a better option.

Sky+ here you come..........

7. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I would exercise a degree of caution when trying to send two satellite feeds down a single coaxial; the existing cabling needs to be of a high quality and not excessive in length. If possible I would recommend using two separate coaxial cables for the satellite feeds to guarantee reliability. I do agree that using a quattro LNB with a Triax multiswitch will give excellent results.