Multiroom with no phone line

rosbif

Standard Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get multiroom without having the boxes connected to a phone line?

I currently have Sky+ in my main room but would love to upgrade that to Sky HD and then take the Sky+ up to the bedroom. I can't connect either to a phone line. Is it possible?

Failing that - can I buy an HD box off ebay and still get the HD subscription? I could then get a card (are they still on offer for freesat?) for the sky+ box and just get the free channels on it...

TIA

Is it possible to get multiroom without having the boxes connected to a phone line?

I currently have Sky+ in my main room but would love to upgrade that to Sky HD and then take the Sky+ up to the bedroom. I can't connect either to a phone line. Is it possible?

Failing that - can I buy an HD box off ebay and still get the HD subscription? I could then get a card (are they still on offer for freesat?) for the sky+ box and just get the free channels on it...

TIA

Can't have multiroom without a phone line - it's the only way Sky can check that both boxes are in use at the same location.

If you go down the second route, be aware that you won't be able to use the recording features on the Sky+ box with a freesat card in it. You can pay a tenner to activate Sky+ on the freesat card, but you've then got to say if you're paying a tenner to be able to record just the free channels, you really ought to be paying a tenner for multiroom and be able to record and watch all channels on your subscription. But then you're back to the no phoneline problem. :confused:

Third option is to use AV senders or RF2 to transmit picture from Sky HD box to bedroom, then sell your Sky+ box on eBay as part compensation for the cost of Sky HD.

Could run an extension into the bedroom. Not a difficult task. A bit of phone cable and a box from B&Q.

Could run an extension into the bedroom. Not a difficult task. A bit of phone cable and a box from B&Q.

The OP doesn't have a phoneline. His current Sky+ box isn't, and can't be, connected to the phoneline.

So how did he get Sky+ in the first place as I thought you had to have this box connected to a phoneline to get Sky.

So how did he get Sky+ in the first place as I thought you had to have this box connected to a phoneline to get Sky.

Nope - pay £25, no phone line needed. Or buy the box yourself instead of through Sky - no phone line needed. Or tell the installer that you're getting the phone line fitted next week - no phone line needed. Or move house and take the Sky+ box with you to a house that already has a quad LNB on the roof - no phone line needed.

You are assuming that the OP has had Sky installed in the past twelve months by a Sky installer at his current home. Given he has a username of rosbif and his location is Far, Far Away I would guess that he lives in France - but I don't know.

I've had the Sky+ box for years. I got a second hand contract with it at the time as I couldn't connect it and never had a problem. Does one need to connect the HD box to a phoneline for the HD subscription, even if bought non-subsidised?

I would be happy with freesat on the sky+ box without the recording features to be honest - how much is a freesat card these days?

You are assuming that the OP has had Sky installed in the past twelve months by a Sky installer at his current home. Given he has a username of rosbif and his location is Far, Far Away I would guess that he lives in France - but I don't know.

I couldn't possibly comment on that... :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom