1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiroom SKY

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Parklife, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I am about to buy a brand new house and would ideally like the SKY to be distributed from the lounge to the kitchen and bedroom. I am aware of the RF2 on the back of my SKY+ box. Can i simply use this output and run some co-ax to the other 2 points (obviously using a splitter) and then fix a magic eye to both so I can change channel?

Will the picture quality deteriorate due to the splitter? (I would only have one of the 2 TVs on at the time)

If this is the best way I can get the builders to hide all the cables for me!

Thanks

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi
    How concerned are you about quality? certainly RF is the easiest way of achieving multi-room, but is the worse quality and is only good enough for small screen/casual viewing. You are however in an ideal position if you can get extensive cabling put in at the early stages this will give you lots of flexibility for the future (home automation, home networking etc etc)

What size screens were you planning?

3. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the reply. It would only be for casual viewing. I have a 17" LCD that will go in the kitchen, and would probably be looking for up to a 26" LCD for the bedroom. I would not want the quality to be absolute rubbish, as long as it is watchable!!

My main viewing would be in the living room and I would probably only watch the others now and again. I would just like to be able to watch SKY.

I will try out the RF with the 17" LCD and see what it looks like. What are the other ways of avhieving the same with better quality?

Are there any other cables you would recomend to get put in for the future?

Thanks

4. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your cables are going to be long, go to argos and get the splitter designed for sky RF2.

I had two TV's running from a good quality splitter but the picture deteriorated slightly and there was not enough juice to run both sky eyes. I used to have to disconnect one of the cables from the splitter to get the eye to work on the other.

Argos sell a little silver box for £30, ( which also includes 2 sky eyes ), it works a treat. Far better picture quality than the splitter.

Plus it a great price considering that the cheapest you can get a sky eye is about £25 ( although you would get a free remote with that ) - 2 sky eyes = £50.

I have a 15" LCD and a 27" LCD ran from the splitter. The quality is fine on the 15 and pretty good on the 27. The only time you really notice any loss of quality is on the menus.

I am going to run more co-ax to the 27" and connect it to the composite video signal from the digi-box to the 27" lcd. I will still leave the sky eye connected so I can control the box but I will watch it through the composite video cable.

5. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is the gadget I use:-

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=1751&productId=89719&Trail=C$cip=12724>C$cip=12725>C$cip=12729&categoryId=12729

Best of luck....