Multiroom from another house?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by micky007, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micky007

micky007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I used to live in a house share property and i paid the landlord to get Sky Multi-room installed in my room. I've recently moved out and got my own place with my partner and the new house has a dish already installed on the house. I took my sky box and sky card from the house share as i paid for the box and connected it to the dish in the new house so i could watch freeview. But then i noticed i still had all the Sky channels as i still had my card placed in the sky box. Now i have a feeling the sky card will be cancelled at the end of the month (if the landlord cancelled it when i gave him my notice).

Now my parents have been a sky customers for a number of years and have Sky Multi-room in 3 of their rooms. Now i have this question, if i took the sky box and card from my parents house and placed it in my house would it work? I understand sky multi-room boxes need to be connected to a telephone line for a few months, they have had sky multi-room for a long time so they dont need their boxes connected to a phone line anymore.

If it wouldnt work then how do i have sky in my new house with the box and card i took from where i moved from?

Plus would there be any way of getting caught as i understand people do this in spain dont they to get british tv?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    Freeview is not availabe via satellite.

Multi room boxes must always be connected to the same phone line, to stop exactly what your trying to do... if they are not the owner of the sub risks being billed in full for seperate subscriptions.

If you want Sky in your home you order and pay for it, either online or by phone.

Suppose you could look at using your parents sub for Sky Go maybe but it's not ideal.

3. micky007

micky007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

Thanks for your response, how do people in Spain get away with it then?

4. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    They will generally have full subs, not multiroom.

5. micky007

micky007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kev,

Actually thinking about it I'm not sure what your saying is true. When i got Sky Multiroom installed at my previous address the sky multiroom box was only connected to a telephone line for 3 months, after 3 months the landlord disconnected the telephone line so that i could make any charges on the phone line. I had Sky Multiroom for 1yr 1 month and the box was only conncted to a phone line for just 3 of those months. Had no problems whle using the box, just the only thing i couldn't do was watch box office films etc... as it requires a phone line be connected.

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    The Terms and Conditions of multiroom are 100% clear, and you can easily check them on the Sky web site.
    Both machines must be connected to the same fixed landline for the entire length of the contract, and any faliure to observe the condition will, sooner or later, result in the multiroom subscription being replaced by two full subscriptions.

7. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Whilst what logiciel and kev say is true, as i was certainly told the same by Sky when i moved my account to a new address and activated another 2 boxes as multi-room last June.
    Since that time only my main box has been connected to a telephone line. I'm not doing anything deliberately dodgy, but trailing telephone lines to another 3 rooms (all upstairs) is not on my priority list of things to do in the house, especially when i'm busy renovating.
    That's exactly what i'll tell Sky too if they query it. They are welcome to come round and check......and then lose a customer if they get shirty with me.
    So, whilst the T&C's are clear, you'll probably get away with it for a while.

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    They ought to have come round and checked it at the time when they made the multiroom agreement with you.
    That, at least, will be a factor in your favour, when they eventually take payment for three full subscriptions.;)

9. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, to be fair, i had issues with pairing all 3 multi-room boxes, so when on the phone with tech support they told me the phone line should be connected so they can be sure it's me who has the boxes. I told them that it could be a while before i can connect them due to house renovation. They didn't seem too fussed.

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    Fair enough.:)
    If their staff aren't bothered they can't expect their customers to be any more so.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  11. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Lol, i know, its a joke really. But then if the only reason they want the phone line connected is purely to check to use/misuse, then i've nothing to hide :)

12. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,279
    Once Sky ask your boxes to phone home and they don't, they will write to you asking you to connect them. The boxes will be asked to phone home again and Sky may write to you again. They may just start charging for 2 subscriptions or they may send another letter and then start charging you 2 subscriptions. It does not matter what may or may have been said to you over the phone. The T&Cs are quite clear. They could set a call back for 6 weeks time and then state that you told them about the renovations so they gave you 6 weeks to sort it, which is not unreasonable. Of course you may just slip through the system, but its rare

13. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've not had any letters at all.
    When they hike my subs up in June i'll likely cancel the subscriptions anyway. If they offer me a good deal and i stay then i'll go to the trouble of putting the phone lines in properly.

14. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765

15. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
  16. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Well, that's the theory but, whenever this subject is mentioned, someone always pops up claiming to have had multiroom for x years without a phone connection and never been challenged! :rolleyes:

I have 3 multirooms and, knowing my luck, I bet they'd be down on me the moment I dissed the phone connection on any of them for a second! :suicide:

17. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    That's the problem of choosing the forum name that you did! :laugh:

18. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    3 Mins! :eek:

You're a bit slow today, SN. :p

19. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    Yes and, judging by this forum's probable readership, it's probably about one in a thousand. If you fancy those odds, go ahead. It won't do any harm, provided that you respond as soon as you receive the letter.

20. DaveHudson

DaveHudson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sky Multiroom boxes must be connected to the same phone line all the time and not only for a few months. For any additional box you are paying £10 extra as a multiroom agreement.

If one of them will be disconnected from the landline, you will end up paying for them as separate contracts.

To give you an example:
    1. first box £40/ month, second box £10 extra, third box £10 extra - connected to the same land-line
    2. if you do not connect them to the phoneline you will pay £40 + £40 + £40.

Of course, if you r landlord will cancel the contract, you can still use that box as a freesat box. You will receive about 30 channels for free. If the card is still pair up with the box you will get another 10 channels for free.

21. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    A Sky machine with or without a card has nothing to do with Freesat "boxes".
    Those are machines authorised by the limited company of that name to show the EPG that it produces.
    A Sky machine without a card will show the Sky EPG, and two or three hundred free channels.
    With an expired subscription card or a £25 FreeSatFromSky card it will show eight further channels.

22. phil74hu9

phil74hu9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My daughter moved out 19 months ago, and took her multiroom box with her, she set it up in her new house and pays me the £10 a month, it is not plugged in to a phone line, the only thing she has had is a message on the screen telling her to contact Sky, when this happens she re boots the device and it keeps on working fine with the full Sky package, I have not had any letters from Sky and the monthly charge has not increased, So it is worth trying.

23. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Your daughter is committing fraud. One day your subs will be increased to two full subscriptions.

24. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    Not fraud, in the legal sense of the word, and not by the other party but by you, but a clear break of Sky's Terms and Conditions for multiroom to which you signed up.
    It was not a good idea to publicise the fact and I suggest for your own sake that you delete the post.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  25. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think we've all established Sky's T&C's regarding multi-room and phone lines now fellas, not sure of the need for it to be reiterated every few posts.
    If you don't connect your phone line, you run the risk of them being bothered to bill you in full....some get away with it, some don't.
    Simples!

26. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    Not sure why this can be openly discussed when breaking Sky terms by other means such as card sharing cannot? :confused:

27. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    But you are in a sense committing fraud. Gaining something without paying the correct costs.
    Having a box in your own house not connected is entirely different to having a box in another house

28. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Use of multiroom in a single property without telephone connections is merely a breach of Ts & Cs however use in different properties/households is fraud - a deliberate action for pecuniary advantage.

29. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    It's time to call a halt to this - thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.