Multiroom Box signal/strength different from main box

_Dragon_

I have just two HD boxes the main which is in the living room and the second is in the bedroom,Shouldn't the signal bars be the same as each box as its all coming from the same lnb.

Also have they changed things around with the HD boxes i noticed if i unplug input 1 i can still watch tv it seems input 2 is the viewing tuner because when i unplug input 2 then the screen will say no signal.

logiciel

Sounds like you need to check all the plugs!

logiciel

Let's say there's no reason why they wouldn't be. :)

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
The signal strength/quality measuring in the Sky boxes are not exactly precision instruments!

If you're really worried, try swapping them over between rooms.

Please report back with the readings.

If both are above about 60%, then there's nothing to worry about, even if they are not equal.

As for which tuner is used (assuming you're set up to use both), my understanding is that either can be used for viewing, and then the one not in use, for recording.

That's how my Sammy seems to work.

Unless someone knows different... :)

logiciel

There's a touch of deja vu in that first, entirely correct, comment.:)
If OP is getting the channels that's all that matters on that point, though there aren't specific viewing and recording tuners so the other point still calls for attention.

_Dragon_

Hi

Never thought about swapping the boxes over will give that a try at the weekend.

No im not having any signal problems just thought it was a bit strange they were different.

Thanks

logiciel

It is a bit strange but there are a lot of strange things about Sky and the indicators really don't mean much as long as you're getting your channels.
Let us know how it goes though, especially about the point that might matter - "when i unplug input 2 then the screen will say no signal".

Stevenage Neil

When you take these signal strength readings are both boxes tuned to the same channel?

logiciel

And you're getting equally good picture on sound on both - right?

logiciel

There's nothing to be concerned about there in that case - I don't think I've ever looked at the strength indicators and would only get concerned if the reception did go wrong.
The other point remains though, "when i unplug input 2 then the screen will say no signal" - it shouldn't.

MartinPickering

Let's say there's no reason why they wouldn't be. :)

Here are six reasons why there might be:-

At LNB frequencies, the signal loss in the cable is quite high. If one cable is significantly longer, that will certainly produce a difference.

There are component tolerances that will make each tuner module perform differently from even an "identical" one. Tuner modules from different manufacturers will certainly produce different results.

The calculation of signal strength and quality may vary, dependent on the firmware in different models.

LNB output signals are often not equal.

Signals from different transponder frequencies will be different so it depends on which transponder a Digibox is measuring. Usually it will be the "default" transponder but that can be altered in the menu. Also, since the default transponder is polarised (let's say "vertically") then if the Digibox is set to a horizontally polarised channel, it can't possibly be seeing the default transponder and must be getting its measurement from a different one or simply "remembering".

The average signal strength does vary so, by the time you've run upstairs, it could have changed by 10%.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom