Multiroom audio visual setup- New build

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by chigz, Aug 27, 2013.

1. chigz

chigz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

Been reading up on the forums for the last few weeks about installing a home AV system. I wanted a many to many solution ( 4 TV able to play any source, with in ceiling speakers) however what I haven't been able to find out is what this would cost me. I have no idea what brands/systems to go for so i wanted to get a rough idea for a budget?

Thanks in advance,

Chigz

2. wysinawyg

wysinawyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    For just the TV bit? You're lookking at a 4x4 matrix (assuming you can keep it down to 4 sources).

If you can bury HDMI cables in the walls and runs are short enough thats from £300 or thereabouts plus cabling. If you can't bury HDMI cables and want to go over Cat5e/6 cables more like £1,500 for HDBaseT.

e.g. this sort of stuff:

HDMI Matrix - 4x2 & 4x4 HDMI Matrix with IR Passback, 3D compatability and Superfast Switching

If you're on any kind of a low budget I'd go for Sonos to handle the music side separately.

Are you planning on the ceiling speakers for TV audio as well? If so I think the easiest option is going to be a cheap AV amp in each room which will have HDMI in from the Matrix and audio in from Sonos.

Regardless of what route you go I'd chuck in a few extra Cat5e/6 cables while you're at it. A couple of runs of decent coax never hurt either for shipping aerial / sattelite signals round.

3. wysinawyg

wysinawyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
  4. chigz

chigz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So running HDMI would be the cheaper option? What about future tech e.g. smart tv etc? would it not be better to run CAT5/6 for that reason?

5. wysinawyg

wysinawyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    Yes, plain HDMI matrixes are much cheaper than ones which distribute over Cat cables (though you will pay more for the cables and will have more difficulty running the cables given larger size and lower flexibility).

But yes (as my last paragraph said) even if I ran HDMI now I would definitely be running some Cat cables as well, for ethernet now and additional ones to give flexibility going forwards.

Personally I was pretty clueless when we bought our home with no real idea of any AV / home automation type stuff. I ran a few coaxes (which serve fine for distributing low quality Sky over RF) and a load of Cat5e. Aside from some issues over placing of cables (and that it would have been nice to have neutral wires run to the light switches while I was re-wiring) that has actually been fine and now HDBaseT matrixes are coming down in price / available I may even upgrade to HD round the house.