Multiroom audio for new build

mark88

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a new build soon and thought best I try and plan how to multi room everything, first the audio:

I have 5/6 zones. With the kitchen/living room being open plan. Check my diagram.

The goal is to have every zone be able to play the same source at the same time, a different source at the same time and also each zone should have independent volume.

I'm using squeeboxes as the sources as they can sync with each other perfectly and can be controlled by the new duet remotes or Pronto remotes. Also, they have the ability to output on all outputs at the same time.

Each zone will have in wall or ceiling speakers, bedroom 1 and the living room will be the only room with 5.1 speakers as I'm planning to which movies in these rooms.

With all that in mind here's what I have come up with thus far, everything being controlled by Pronto remotes. At the moment if I want different song playing at the SAME time in different zones then I don't see how I can get around buying pre amp for each room as there doesn't seem to be many multi source-multi output amplifiers on the market. Also, if I want 5.1 in both the bedroom and living room I'll need to A/V amps, correct?

All equipment will be kept in a cupboard/small room somewhere.

Attachments

• multi room audio.jpg
    multi room audio.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 556
I don't see WHY you need the stereo pre-amps?
Just connect the SBs to the power amp.

I don't see WHY you need the stereo pre-amps?
Just connect the SBs to the power amp.

There's issues with volume, and the fact that I like extra tone controls. But in theory you're correct although some people on the slimdevices forums do warn against running SB straight into power amps.

Do you need a diy solution?

Do you need a diy solution?

Yes, because:

1) I want to be able to understand how it all works

and

2) I can't afford to pay thousands for a custom installer to do it all for me.

I can think of a solution that could work for you and give some flexibilty what sort of budget do you have per room/ or in total. How many sources do you want in total? (where abouts in the country are you?

I'm looking to do something similar in my new build.

More details about this solution please...

Alexeix,

There are lots of different systems and solutions available which really makes no one project the same, unless it is a development of similar units.

What do you want to achieve? Audio only or with video etc.
What do you have as a budget? Are we talking 100's, 1000's or 10000's

The more info the greater advice we can give you.

V.

I can think of a solution that could work for you and give some flexibilty what sort of budget do you have per room/ or in total. How many sources do you want in total? (where abouts in the country are you?

if you know of a soloution why dont you just come out with it?

Last edited:
@mark88

In your picture, you could replace all the stereo pre-amps and the 12 channel power amp with a TEAC AG-980. It will drive 4 independent pairs of stereo speakers, and costs a wonderful £180.

I don't know your exact circumstances, but how often do you really think you'll have different tunes playing in more than 2 of these zones at any time? Just wonder if you really need 3 squeezeboxes!

Flash

Last edited:
For almost 2 months? :rotfl:

maybe its a flux capacitor powered multi room audio system. distribute music to several locations and also time travel when the vol hits 88db

@mark88

In your picture, you could replace all the stereo pre-amps and the 12 channel power amp with a TEAC AG-980. It will drive 4 independent pairs of stereo speakers, and costs a wonderful £180.

I don't know your exact circumstances, but how often do you really think you'll have different tunes playing in more than 2 of these zones at any time? Just wonder if you really need 3 squeezeboxes!

Flash

Where does the the Teac sell for £180? Best price I found was around £200-ish.

Where does the the Teac sell for £180? Best price I found was around £200-ish.

CPC sell it for £145 plus VAT if you quote the right product code from some of their catalogues. e.g AV1689402. Doesn't appear om their website, but if you order over the phone it works.

F

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom