Multiroom and Sky+

lesac

Standard Member
I'm so sorry if this is a repeat of previous threads but I've read so many and spoken to Sky and am now completely confused!

I bought my parents a special offer on Sky 2 years ago, whereby you paid an upfront fee to get basic Sky subscription for 6 months plus all the Sky install. After the 6 months you either took out another 6 month subscription or reverted to the non subscription service (is that the same as Freesat?). They reverted to non-subscription service and Sky told me they have their account listed as inactive.

My parents only have Sky in one room in their house but would also now like to have it in their second living room. They don't want the hassle or cost of a subscription service.

What I'm trying to find out is if there is a way for them to get multi-room without subscribing?

They would also like to have a way of recording Sky like I do with my Sky+ HD. Again they don't want additional monthly costs and they don't care about having HD.

Would any of this cause them to need extra cabling or a change to the centre part of the dish? And do you have to get a Sky engineer in to do that?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

(By the way we live in rural Northern Ireland and when I checked parents postcode it said they can't have Freeview now, nor will it be available after the switch over so Sky appears to be parents only option).

Starburst

Welcome:)

Well first forget SKY as a solution, they want paying for providing the PVR functions in SKY hardware but since Freesat came long you can buy hardware that allows access to the FTA sat channels and PVR functions with no monthly cost.
So contact a local sat installer about the installation of a new LNB (on the dish) which allows 4 outputs when then feeds two PVR's (or 1 PVR and 1 normal box) and buy the boxes from the installer or on the open market.

SKY are fine if you taking out a subscription service or a special deal/offer but are not cost effective if you want non-sub setup beyond a single tuner SD box.

logiciel

Welcome to AVF, and yes, forget about Sky, go for Freesat, get a local installer to exchange the LNB on their dish with a four-way "quad", have a second connection to the main room, and one or two to the second room, get a Freesat receiver/recorder for the main room, and use either the present Sky receiver or another receiver/recorder for the second room. They're all listed here: Subscription free TV - freesat

Last edited:

davemurgatroyd2

There is absolutely no need to purchase another receiver for the second room if their present Sky box is working and they do not want either HD or a PVR in there. Their present Sky box with its FreesatFromSky (FSFS) card, which is what their subscription card has reverted to, will give them more channels than it is possible to view on freesat in any way. Freesat will not give them Fiver, Five USA, Sky3 (and the +1 variants) and neither Channel 4HD or Five HD yet.

logiciel

I was a bit doubtful about the card considering the details about the subscription.

lesac

Standard Member
I think would like to get them a new receiving box so that they could have PVR facilities at least in their main room.

So if I get them the quad LNB, a PVR box and an installer to set it up would that would get us on the right track without having to involve Sky? I know with my Sky+ HD I had to have 2 set of cables coming in - would my parents need that as well? If I get a PVR box for them how does it work - they only have one viewing card, do they need another? Sky told me you can only get a second card if you take out a subscription to multi-room but I felt the guy I spoke to was being very evasive.

Thanks for all the help so far - I think it's all starting to make sense.

I'm guessing there will be threads discussing PVR boxes so time to go find those.

Broadz

Sky told me you can only get a second card if you take out a subscription to multi-room but I felt the guy I spoke to was being very evasive.
No, he wasn't being evasive, he was telling the truth. A Sky+ box will only work with a Sky card with Sky+ functionality activated in the box. And Sky won't activate Sky+ on a card unless you subscribe to multiroom, or pay for Sky+ on that second card. And as both cost £10.25 per month, you might as well pay for multiroom on that card and get the subscription channels as well as the free channels.

davemurgatroyd2

If you get a freesat PVR in the main room and use the existing Sky box (as a FreesatFromSky (FSFS) box which is what it is with a cancelled subscription) in a second room then you will not require any additional cards or need to pay a subscription. Sky do NOT do multiroom FSFS installations and they are talking to you about multiroom subscription installs. As stated above you need a local installer to install a second cable to the main room, a cable to the second room and probably replace the lnb (bit on arm in front of dish) for a quad (4 output) from the present single output one. If they are happy to lose viewing in the main room (and only view them in second room) of the 8 channels on FSFS that are not on freesat then there is no need to even think about Sky.

What they had originally was Sky's "pay once view forever" offer which was a marketing offer (at a lot lower price than freesat was ever going to hope to better) to tempt people thinking of freesat to try subscription TV for a period in the hope that they would become "addicted" to the subscription channels and continue to subscribe but if they didn't the package reverted to a FreesatFromSky installation when the subscription period ended.

Last edited:

davemurgatroyd2

I was a bit doubtful about the card considering the details about the subscription.
That appears to have been the "pay once view forever" offer.

logiciel

Thanks for all the help so far - I think it's all starting to make sense.
I'm guessing there will be threads discussing PVR boxes so time to go find those.
My suggestions in post #3 still seem to be right for you, and the Freesat sub-forum will get you all the details.

Top Bottom