1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiregion? Throw?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Adam G, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Adam G

Adam G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I’ve been in love with the idea of a home cinema projector unit ever since I saw one in action a few months ago. I’ll have some spare cash in September and I’d like to shop around for prices before then.

My budget floats around the 2K range, more or less. I'm thinking that my best bet is a LCD system, possibly the Panasonic PT-AE 100E or the Sony /VPL-CS2.

However, I have some questions that I hope someone can answer.

I think I understand what Throw means. Having said that, the whole concept seems to assume that you’ll always be using the projector in a relatively small space. I want something transportable, (so again a LCD is advisable), but one of the locations I may end up using the projector in is a large hall capable of seating close to 100 people. Does Throw work both ways? In other words, does a large room affect picture quality badly, just as a small room would with a projector that suffers inadequate throw?

My second question is about regions. Although the projector I saw in action worked well, (and no, I can’t remember the make), it had a problem with region 1 DVDs. It had no problem showing black and white movies, no matter which region. As it happens I’m a silent movie fan, (that’s why I bought multiregional in the first place), so initially it wasn’t an issue. However, when the projector tried to show region 1s in color it couldn’t. The actual picture quality was fine, no graininess or anything. The only problem was the monochrome picture. I’ve since had someone try to convince me that this is a fairly common fault, to do with NTSC compatibility. Is this true?

Many Thanks!
  2. MAW

Jan 24, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Nr Dorking
    Most pj's can accept NTSC video, but check before buying. That's definitely the B/W and colour prob you describe. The PTAE100 has neither the resolution nor brightness to cope with audiences of 100 or anything like. You'll want an XGA with 1000 lumens or more. IMHO that is, I have the same issues, though my audiences are smaller. If your PJ has an 'economy' mode, to give less lumens and longer bulb life, your blacks may look better with this in small rooms. Check out www.projectorcentral.com for throw/pic.size comparisons, reviews etc.