1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiregion Sony 335

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Neil Watson, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    After checking a few websites to find that multiregion Sony 335 players handle RCE I went ahead and bought R1 A Knights Tale.

Problem is it doesn't work on my machine as I get the World Map instead. I bought my 335 from the Sony Centre in Jan 2001 so anyone know what mod they use?

Tried it on my mates 335 who bought his a month before but from Lakes Electrical Retailer and not a problem plays perfectly.

Been into the service menus and mine says Region 02 and his says 0A. Anyway of changing mine to this?

Apart from this disc all my other R1 (All non RCE as far as I can tell) work fine

Thanks
    Neil

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,976
    more than likely, the player is auto-switching from all regions....or the player is actually region free rather than multi-region.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know where you heard that Sony players can handle RCE as it is not the player that is the issue but the type of modification used. Some will defeat RCE, some will have problems with RCE.

I suggest you go back to the retailer and ask them how to get RCE titles working or perhaps read the manual supplied.

I have an old techtronics modification on my Sony and that gets pass RCE by making the player think it is R1 by default and it auto selects all the other regions. The default option on the mod was R2 default and auto-selecting the other regions. This did not work with RCE. Maybe yours is something similar.

4. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    As I said in my original post my service menu says its default is Region 02 and my mates is region 0A (I presume this is an ALL regions setting) so you would think his would be the problematic one not mine.

Anyway what Doubledoom had done sounds what I originally posted for help on as my thoughts are that RCE only affects R1 discs (so far) and hence if the player thinks its R1 by default then problem solved. It can then auto select for my R2 discs instead.

The questions is How??? The only manual the Sony Centre gave me is the one that comes with the unmodified player? I don't even know the mod type?

So, anyone out there (come on there must be someone out there from Sony who reads this forum) who knows how to change this via another menu. Since my player is nearly a year old its not like I'm going to come back on the warranty as that was superceeded by the one from the Sony Centre franchise anyway

5. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Well,
    I have been back to the Sony Centre and they have been about a useful as a chocolate teapot!

They looked up when I bought it which tallied well with when I said I bought it from them (wonderdul things reciepts) and they couldn't really say what to do. The guy vaugely remembered that you might be able to manually change it by the remote and suggested pressing 1 (or 0 and 1) before turning it on. Strangly enough this vauge suggestion didn't work.

When I mentioned chipping companies doing the upgrade free if you buy the multiregion player from them and it proves not to worked he just shrugged his shoulders said than that it would be £60+vat to remod!

So much for going with the local authorised dealer! What is so frustrating is that were it not for the fact I wanted it black rather than silver I would have bought it from Lakes who's Sony336 works with RCE on my mates who had his before I bought mine.

Anyway, just out of sheer despiration, what remote keypress do others know of on the 335/336 that manaully select the regions?

Thanks

6. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You managed to by a chipped player from a Sony centre!:confused: I would think that Sony'll take their franchise away if they find out!
    Aside from that, are you sure that the player is chipped? If it doesn't play any R1 material, it's probably not.
    My chipped 735 manually changes region by turning power off, & pushing the number of the region you want, then powering back on. Which is much what the guy in the shop tried - sorry.
    If you've paid for multiregion & it doesn't do that. TAKE IT BACK FOR A REFUND. It's your statutory rights.

7. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Sorry for the confusion.

I have loads of R1 discs that play quite happily by inserting the disc and off it goes, i.e. automatically. The problem only occurs with R1 - A knights Tale (and any other RCE disc I would guess?)

As to the Sony Centre. They quite happily sell multiregion DVD players and have done so for at least a year as I bought mine back last Jan. They are related to a company B&B Hi-Fi's so I would hazard a guess that they both use the same chipping centre.

The problem is with trying to identify what mod mine has as they apparently change the mods every 2-3 months to cope/upgrade with studio changes. The advanatage is that the warranty is not affected buying from them. Shame the after sales service is not up to par though.

What I need is some way of changing the region code so that its default is R1 and it autos to other regions i.e. R2. At the moment the service menu (title-clear-power option 5) says is Region 2 by default. DoubleDoom if you are reading this how was your mod changed to R1 by deault?

8. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was a techtronics mod from over 2 years ago.

It gave the option of manual and automatic selection. Before RCE, it was set as R2 with auto-selection of the other regions. When RCE came around i manually selected R1. It is now effectively, a R1 machine with auto-selection for the other regions.

How you do this on your modification i wouldn't know.

9. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    What menu option etc. did you go into to select the manual options. i.e what are the keypresses on the remote.

The only menus I have been able to access are the service one (title-clear-power) and the usual one by pressing the display button.

Are there any others via other key combinations?

Thanks

10. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a keypress option that was added by the Techtronics mod. It won't be there on the mod that you have.

11. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may well be totally useless for your player, but it's worth a shot. A lot of 'older' mods used the parental control menu for manual region select. Try going into it, (you'll need the password) & selecting '1'.