Multiregion problem

S

Spazwunkle

heyhey all

probably been posted before, but can't find any on the search.

Having a problem with the Region X on my PS2. Doesn't show a colour picture for region 1 dvds, just black and white.

This is an NTSC problem right? Thing is, I'm pretty certain it used to work. Haven't used it in a while and now moved, but sure it used to run (only difference is I've got a freeview box now).

Any ideas?

How is the ps2 connected to your tv?
In order for an NTSC signal to display , it will need to be connected via rgb scart or s video. I could be wrong, but I dont think standard compposite connection will do it.

yes, connected via scart. Tv hasn't got any s video unfortunately. Tried both scart sockets, but doesn't make a difference.

Your t.v can't except the composite NTSC signal being past through the scart lead. You cannot get an RBG signal through DVD films on the PS2.

But thats the thing, I was using this tv up until a few months ago, (couldn't take the newer TV with me on the move) meaning I'd been using the region x with it about 6 months prior to that. Surely I must have checked it with region 1 discs during that time. And I used a chipped multiregion DVD with it for a couple of years before that with no problems. Both using a scart.

Is there somekind of option i need to change on the ps2 or something to change from PAL to NTSC?

Your multi region dvd play is outputting an RGB signal, which your TV can take. Your PS2 is outputting a composite NTSC signal which your T.V cannot except.

There is no region option for the PS2 and wouldn't make any difference.

I had this problem when I first got DVD Region X.

If you hook up your PS2 to your TV with an RGB PS2 Scart Cable you will get a green screen when you try playing back DVDs, this is something Sony did to prevent piracy apparently but all it does really is prevent you from watching DVDs in RGB.

If you load up DVD Region X it not only allows you to watch DVDs from other Regions on your PS2 but it will also remove the green screen effect so you can use a RGB cable to get the best possible quality.
To make sure that your cable is a true RGB PS2 Scart cable though, try playing back a Region 2 DVD without loading up DVD Region X. If the picture comes out in green then its an RGB Cable, if it comes out in colour then its not a true RGB Cable and would explain why your NTSC DVDs are being displayed in black and white as the first time I got DVD Region X, I bought what I was told was an RGB PS2 Scart cable but when I tried it at home the DVDs came out in black and white. I took the cable back and bought a PS1 RGB Scart Cable off eBay and using DVD Region X I was able to run NTSC DVDs in full colour.

I can run region 2 dvd fine without using the region x, no green screen.

So...this means I need a new scart lead?

Afraid so, sounds like you have the same cable that I first bought which doesnt give any better quality game or film wise than the standard composite cables.

Just noticed you mentioned your freeview box. Try this before trying out a new RGB lead.

If you've hooked up your PS2 through a freeview input it probably doesn't have RGB pass through. Connect your PS2 straight to the tv via your RGB scart lead, rather then through your STB.

k i'll try that cheers.

So just to confirm, i need to get an older rgb scart lead, which will show green screen, and then run all my dvds through region x. that should sort it?

A true RGB PS2 Scart Cable will always display DVDs with a green tint so if you want the best quality by being able to use a RGB cable you have to use DVD Region X everytime you want to watch a DVD.

There is another way around the green screen effect but it involves soldering points on the mainboard and I am not sure if you wish to do this.

Spazwunkle said:
k i'll try that cheers.

So just to confirm, i need to get an older rgb scart lead, which will show green screen, and then run all my dvds through region x. that should sort it?

No, try connecting your RGB lead directly to the TV and not through your freeview box first. As I have already said, your freeview box may not be allowing RGB pass through, instead you are getting a composite signal, or a composite NTSC signal when playing region 1's, hence the B&W picture. Your cable may well be fine. If it doesn't work then you probably have a scart lead which hasn't been wired correctly for RGB, as many are.

Just to let you know, bought the rgb scart and the problem is now sorted. Full colour region 1 :)

Thanks for your help everyone. Saves me buying a new dvd player :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom