1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiregion players?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stanleyntl, Nov 27, 2004.

1. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Are there unofficially genuine multi-region players/recorders as setup by the manufacturer? :rolleyes:
    Or, are they all doctored units by dealers? :devil:

Which is the safest source for multi-region players? i.e. firmware is not compromised by illicit changes? :)

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,925
    As a rule I believe all DVD Players have to be locked onto the Region where the Player is being sold but some companies build Region Change software into their players so you only have to press a few buttons on the remote to change the region but you dont usually find this on top brand players like Sony or Pioneer, to make they multi-region you have to either install a chip or change the firmware, I am sure someone else will be able to give more detailed info.

3. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    there are fewer players that need a chip.
    most are hackable via remote or just running a software disc through it.(the disc is generally supplied by the brand)
    great way of making money for some,they make it sound so complex sometimes to get money out of you.
    but things are changing and you can find multi region at similar prices to the region 2

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well I've got an Arcam DVD player and all I had to do to make it m/r was enter a 6 digit number while the tray was open. This is part of the Arcam software and not a hack, its just that Arcam are not allowed to oficially advertise this feature as it is meant to be an engineer access only feature.
    With some other makes it is a similar method, but you may need a different remote to enter the code. These remotes can often be hired to do the job or get a pronto etc with the codes already programmed in.
    As has been said already it is now not that common to need to chip a player to make it m/r

Mark.

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Applying a MR hack to the Pio DV868avi ws a piece of cake, while for the Denon 3910 it was a bit more work, but easy enough too.
    Indeed, amazing what some folks charge you for such an easy upgrade!
    Barend