Multiregion now single region

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mungo, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Mungo

Mungo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba 220E which I bought from Amazon as a multiregion player around 18 months ago. It has been great.

Until now. I bought some US discs recently and although it previously played them all without any problem it has now decided that it won't recognise them. It either says "Not PAL" or "Disc playback unauthorized".

None of the R1 discs will play at all now. R2 is still OK.

Also, in the Picture menu the "PAL/Auto" option is not there as the manual states it should be.

Anybody else found that this has happened on this model or others? I don't understand why this should happen for no reason.

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    Just to clarify are R1 DVD's refusing to play that used to?

Just wondering as maybe an RCE problem.

Sorry just re-read your post :confused:

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Oh dear. Sounds like the firmware has decided to not play NTSC and possibly, not to play 'out of region' titles either.

This may have been caused by a power surge or brown-out.

The first thing to try is to hard-boot it. That means, turn it off and fully disconnect it from the Mains for 10 minutes or so. Then reconnect and power up, to see if it recovers.

Failing that, I don't know of anything else you might do - except get it fixed, or replace it.

4. Mungo

Mungo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nigel, I'll try that and see what happens.

Your mention of a power surge reminded me that last night my TV (a Panasonic 32PD30) made some loud pops after which the sound briefly went very loud and then back to normal. It happened twice but since its now OK I didn't think any more of it.

It may be that the two incidents are connected although I have both units running through a surge protector.

5. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,749
    Had the same problem on my gf's 220e after we went on holiday for 2 weeks last year. The dvd player seemed to have reset itself back to region 2 only, due to the lack of use (we presume).

Anyway the only way we managed to resolve it was to copy a multi region file off the internet, and burn it onto a cd using nero, so it was bootable. Play the disc for 10secs, and it was multi region again.

Still going strong at the mo.

Will try and find the disc, and if I can, I will email the programme to you. Will drop you another message, or PM if I find the disc. It may take me a couple of weeks though as things are a bit hectic at the moment as everything is going into boxes ready for a move Monday week.

In the mean time, try doing a search on the net, or the forums for the problem, and you may find the software you need. From memory it was a french site, but had english instructions.

Good luck

Ricky