1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiregion Mods

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by yabadaba, Sep 11, 2005.

1. yabadaba

yabadaba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm looking to buy a multiregion Panasonic DMR-ES20D and have found two online stores that offer it at what I believe is a good price (c.£217 inc vat & delivery). Can anyone advise whether or not all multiregion mods are now pretty much equal? I'm asking this because I remember a few years ago, when I last bought a multiregion machine, there was lots of debate as to where you should buy from, since some did better mods than others. If they all work without problems then I'll just go for the one that is also 'throwing-in' 4 dvd-ram disks!

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I have two Panasonics which came from different suppliers. Both are multi-region modded. Presumably both the same - they both play region 1 dvd's. Think they do this modding with a special remote but they always say its "been chipped".
    Note that £217 seems to be the cheapest on pricerunner from RGB, PRC and EmpireDirect.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-and-vision/vision/dvd-players/455849/prices

3. yabadaba

yabadaba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, I guessed that may be the case. It's the first 2 suppliers you list that I'm considering. They are a within a few pence of each other on price, but PRC give the free discs. Have you bought from PRC before?

4. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    No not from either of them. My Panasonics came from
    Techtronics (now seem to have disappeared) and Digital-point, Birmingham. JVC dvd rec also from the latter firm. DVD S27 M/R player (which also plays DVD-RAM) from Digital Direct.

RGB have a pretty good name. Don't know much about
    PRC. Check out the retailer feedback on Pricerunner.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,757
    AVLand have them for a bit more (with free scart and DVDs) but the main thing I like about AVLand is their service, they are very good in my experience :)

6. BigBadFun

BigBadFun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could import a machine from Australia or New Zealand. It is illegal to sell DVD players/recorders here that have region coding. All machines must be region free out-of-the-box.

7. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Oceania models don't have digital tuners :(
    BUT we do have region free machines :)
    Our model is also sold in Saudi Arabia, middle east and Asia.
    It needs regions enabled for 2,3 and 4, probably easier for Panasonic to just leave it region free, than make 3 more models.

I'm wondering does the UK model have a digital tuner added to them, ie it plugs in or is it enabled in the Firmware and other models have this disabled in the firmware.

8. BigBadFun

BigBadFun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right... there are many things in Saudi Arabia, middle east and Asia, America and now the UK that don't exist in New Zealand....... :censored:

9. yabadaba

yabadaba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks johnG and everyone else who has replied. I decided on AVLand and have placed my order. I was swayed by the bit about offering a good service (which I really value), plus they include a reasonable quality scart lead (and some dvd-r's) that I would otherwise need to buy.

On a different note, does anyone know if the dmres20 suffers from the same Ext Link problems as the dmres10?

10. Welsh_Dragon

Welsh_Dragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DMR-ES20DEB but it isn't a Multi-Regional model. Apart from paying £20+ for a 'Special' remote, is there any other way of making it region-free? Please e-mail back. Would appreciate any info you have. stefan_frog@blueyonder.co.uk