1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiregion hacking: can be bad for RGB/component?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by Barry Bingham, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. After bad experiences with the Tosh 330 on RGB & component (I sent two of these back to Amazon) I've been considering the Panny S75. However I note on the Amazon customer one or two reviews refering to poor RGB. In marked contrast to the general reporting that the s75 can match players twice the price. But the machines tested by What Vid etc are presumably non-hacked R2 direct from manufacturer.

I've seen other references to multi-region hacks sometimes crushing RGB pic quality. Anyone out there with any thoughts - especially s75 owners with hacked players and experience of what a good RGB or component picture should look like....????

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I can't say for sure 100% that multiregion hacks don't effect picture quality but theres no logical reason why they should. They simply remove/bypass the region protection bit in the firmware and shouldn't effect picture quality at all. I would say the main reason for some people reporting great picture quality and others reporting poor picture quality is simply mismatched hardware, higher and lower expectations and possibly the discs themselves.

Obviously a lot of dvds themselves are poor quality with low bit rates and some cables have to high resistance or poor shielding so this has an effect.

I would suggest something like Star Wars Attack of the clones region 2 for testing purposes as its superb with a great picture and excellent dd track.

I would also suggest reading What Video as the main guide for picture quality of the various dvd players as they do extensive tests on resolution etc and realy know what their doing picture quality wise.

Have you actually managed to get a really good rgb or component image from any source on your television?

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    Hi Barry,

I sent 3 Tosh 520 players back because of a slight green shift to the left in PAL outputs (component, s-vide and composite). Otherwise the image was very detailed and smooth on my HT1000. NTSC had no problems and progressive was even more detailed. I do wonder what the R2 only player would have looked like though.

I've also seen the Pany S75, and that was just as good, if not better than the Tosh 520, but with no issues that I could see with the time I had it with either interlaced or progressive outputs. I use HTPC as my DVD player, but would seriously consider the S75 if I needed a component output player. It has a lot of tweaks to help reduce background noise and improve the image if needed, so isn't just a basic player.

Bonzobanana is also correct in saying that some equipment is less 'compatable' than others when matched together, so that's something to consider.

www.digital-point.co.uk sell the S75 MR for £115 inc p&p, and I would recommend the player myself - though I've only seen it via component and not RGB scart, so cannot comment on that.

HTH

Gary.

4. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys. Gary - I'm tempted by the digital point deal but mindful that if I send it back I pay - whereas Amazon pays both ways and is no quibble even after a few weeks. Your comments on the s75 reinforce my 95% decision to go down that route.

I did find myself questioning just what my TV was showing with the tosh's until I revisited my other DVD deck's performance.

I currently have a Denon ADV700 which delivers exqusite RGB images on my Loewe. However it has few extras and I particularly want zoom modes for 21:9 stuff and JPEG - hence the search for a second deck.

As for component, I did get the Tosh 330 to output a picture of remarkable quality (very detailed if a tad less film-like than the Denon) on component once I went through (every disc!) the tiresome business of working round the quirk which crushed black level and gave a composite-like picture on both component & RGB. And the Tosh component out was better than the Tosh RGB out.
    Component out on JPEG gave extraordinary results (quirk apart) for an interlaced pic on a TV.

5. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Barry, I bought the S75 as a second deck for RAM but I really do like it, I am just getting used to the differences with player number 1 (Sony 900v) and find it easier to use and gives a more natural picture.

6. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks GED. The Panny has it I think. Because of what you and others report but also because of the umpteen zooms and highly rated JPEG viewer. I'm definitely going to get an S75. Multiregion from somewhere with a no quibble exchange just in case.

The Toshiba experience makes me nervous - full marks to Amazon in this respect. Even though I had the first player for several weeks before returning they refunded my postage costs and sent a replacement without argument. And even though I spent three weeks with the replacement they accepted a return of that and agreed a full refund - including my postage return costs.

The process wasn't exactly quick, but it was absolutely no quibble. All I had to do was make sure the packaging & delivery note were available to make the returns. I don't think I'd have been able to do this with most e-tailers who set a 7day limit for returns and expect you to pay the return costs........ In fact they would probably have sought to "repair" before telling me there was nothing wrong or that the quirk was a "characteristic"...

7. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Barry, I have just "found" the J-Peg thingy, I am not the best at computers and was making various formats of the same pics e.g. vcd or pc j-pegs, wow, this will make life easier (I hope).
    It will rotate images which I couldn't do, will run a slideshow if required.