1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MultiRegion DVDs - newbie!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jmp_78, Oct 11, 2004.

1. jmp_78

jmp_78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am thinking of buying a Multi Region player - can as many of you as possible please give me your opinions on the following!
    * Are R1 DVDs cheaper in general?
    * If so, please recommend some UK based online sites?
    * I use Play.com (UK) a lot - anyone used PlayUSA.com?

* To summarise - is it worth me buying a new player - do like my films, especially Special Edition boxsets!

Also, any suggestions to a decent Multi Region player would be appreciated! £40 max if poss!!!

Cheers,
    Jamie (Nott'm)

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    amazon have a lot of cheap multi-region dvd players.

R1 can be cheaper, R3 are sometimes good too. Best thing is to search for the dvd you want using www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk and see what comes up as it will show R1 and R2 prices. I personally like www.loaded247.co.uk as you won't get charged import duty on them.

3. eddiethehead

eddiethehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Which dvd player do you already have? It may be possible to hack it, to make it multi region.

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,488
    Try DvdSoon. Based in Canada they have some brilliant prices if you are prepared to wait.

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    A decent multi-region for only £40. That doesn't really give you too many options. Still, try www.richersounds.com. They're great for good quality discounted dvd players. Toshiba's budget players are always weel recived.

As for R1 dvds, they're only cheaper only if you have a credit card and are prepared to order from sites outside of the UK, (Canada, USA etc). You can buy USA films from UK companies, but their often more expensive than if you bought UK dvd's, (off the net). I almost always buy R1 films nowadays, (in the main from www.dvdsoon.com in Canada), as they're roughly £11 delivered, (compared to R2 £14-18 from say www.play.com - best place for uk films/games imo). Films like Mystic river, Lost in Trasnlation and Big Fish were bought for £11 and also 4 months before their uk dvd releases.

However the cheapest dvd's are from region 3. The only place, (that I know of), for R3 dvd's is www.cd-wow.com. I've just bought R3 'Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless mind' for just £8.99 del, (very cheap for cds's oddly enough). Also bought T3 and a Kill Bill. Though unfortuantly in Kill Bill there's some dialogue that would be subtitled for the uK version, but isn't as was intended for asian market. But as almost all Western films are exclusively in English this is not really an issue.

Be aware that there is a limit of £18 that you can import freely. Orders over this limit may be liable for import tax, (if caught), and a handling charge levied by the PO. Still, I've ordered 75+ packages from countries worldwide, (Can/USA/Australia/Hong Kong), and have never been charged yet. Though most of those would have been within the £18 limit. The odds are slim, but be aware. :)

6. jmp_78

jmp_78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers people!

The situation is... I have a Sony DAV-S550 Home Cinema kit - it is prgrammed for Region 2 only. Unsure about chipping it.. I know, I know!!!
    I would instead like to buy a standalone Multi-Region player for upto £40.

Question is... using the existing kit, I can obviously achieve DD5.1 & DTS. I want to know if I could connect a standalone player to the Sony, and get DD5.1 from Multi-Region discs. Sony UK, and the Sony Shop were most unhelpful! Is this possible???

The sockets I have spare at the back of the Sony are as follows - 1.Component Video Out jacks; 2.Video2 jacks; 3.Optical Digital In jack (this I guess?!?) If these WILL work, please confirm what cable I will need, and where it will run from and to!!!

Cheers again, J

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    For 5.1 sound, connect the digital out of a 2nd dvd player to the optical digital input on the Sony. Surprised Sony staff didn't know this. Will need an optical digital lead, £20 for a decent one.

Be careful not to buy an 'Electrical digital lead'. As this is a different type of lead for digital sound and not compatible with your Sony.

8. eddiethehead

eddiethehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you don't like the idea of removing the cover, and physicallly inserting a chip into your Sony, these people, will send you a chipped remote, and you simply point it at the player, follow the instructions, and Bob's your Uncle :D (costs £20)

9. jmp_78

jmp_78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Everyone!

Rob - just to check. That Optical Digi Input sounds great! Apologies in advance, but.. I assume I would still connect the rest of the cables to the TV as per usual? Ie, this will only transfer the audio, and not the video as well - if so, that's fine, just wanted to check though!

Thanksssssss again - very newbie MultiRegion Man!

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Correct mate just digital lead...... What TV do you have as this will effect choice of MR player also make sure TV is NTSC compatible

11. jmp_78

jmp_78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a new TV - it's a 32" Sony KD-32DX51 - will this be okay..? It's only 50Hz, so not sure if this would cause problems..?

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    should be fine but some older TV's wont take an NTSC signal.... does it have component inputs???

13. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Another argument for a multiregion player (if anyone isn't convinced it's worth having one): some films -- especially older and/or more obscure ones -- are only available on DVDs from a certain region, or the extras are much better on the DVD from a certain region.

14. jmp_78

jmp_78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me again - been reading some online PDF manuals for some players I fancy, however...

Its seems as though most require the Optical cable to be connected which is fine as discussed before.

ALL manuals I've looked at say that a Coaxial Digital cable is ALSO required to be connected as well - my Sony only has a Optical input, not a coaxial...

Shall I just give up!!!

15. stretcher

stretcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Never Give Up

Never Surrender!!!! :D :D :D

16. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Don't give up! You don't need to connect both a coaxial and an optical just one will do the job. Therefore if you buy a DVD player that has both sockets you can connect the DVD player via the optical. You then setup the DVD player to output via the optical and not the coaxial and bob's your mother's brother. 5.1 sound via the optical into your all-in-one. Easy!

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    which manuals????? only need optical or Coax....